Help With NS Nemo Tunnel Scene

Started by NSyorktown, January 24, 2007, 11:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

Hopefully, someone on this Board has been at the CNO&TP's Nemo Tunnel near Warburg, TN and can help me out.  The NS line comes out of the tunnel, and immediately goes over a high span (the Emory River is far below the bridge).   Here is a link to my HO-scale scene, still under development:

http://rseymour.iweb.bsu.edu/layout.htm

I have tons of pictures of the tunnel entrance and bridge itself.  Commercial videotapes also show the area in great detail.  But nothing about the river, other than mentioning the fact that the water through that area is a jade-blue color, due to chemicals in the run-off.

The question . . . how impressive is the Emory River below that span?  Should I model a narrow or wide / deep river?

Thanks in advance.

Junior

Here is a couple pics taken at Camp Austin.  One of the images is looking straight into the Emory River.

Hope this helps

Junior

E.M. Bell

JR's pics of the Emory river are about dead on for the Nemo Area. The water is almost always low (in the summer, you can almost walk across the river under the bridge and not get your boots wet). And yes, the water has a greenish blue tint almost all the time. There are some large boulders and piles of rip-rap directly under the bridge, or at the last time I was there. If you are looking NORTH from the South end of the bridge, the river makes almost a 90 degree turn to the right on the right side of the bridge, and gently curves left once it passed under the RR. For the most part it is always a placid little river, just good enough for the throngs of kayakers that are always around.

here is a view from aptop the tunnel portal, looking South.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSyorktown

Thanks, guys!  The pics are helpful.  I have plenty of crushed rock to go in and along the riverbed.  I model the summer-time, so the water won't be very deep.

BTW, when was the last time steam power headed north on that line?  I'd guess the photo was from 1985 or a bit earlier(?).

RDS

E.M. Bell

that photo was taken in 91 if I remember. the last steam through there would have been in 93 or 94, with the 611 on a ferry move.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSyorktown

Just wanted to report in . . . I worked on this setion of the layout a lot the past 48 hours.  I have paint and Woodland Scenics (i.e., scenery materials) scattered all over the place right now.  The water will go in by this weekend, the shallow river a jade-blue color.  Will post up-dated pics soon.

BTW, the Central Indiana Division of the NMRA posted a few "new" photographs of my layout on their website recently.  My pike will be on a layout tour during the Hoosier Connection (conference) in a few weeks.  Here's the link:  http://cid.railfan.net/l_seymour.html

The first pic isn't in focus, but the rest are pretty clear.

RDS

NSyorktown

Hey, it's amazing what you can find on the Internet!  This photo shows a lot . . .

http://southern.railfan.net/ties/1963/63-11/cover.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk