N scale Kato SD45 running opposite direction

Started by dschlegel, March 25, 2014, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

So I took apart one of my SD45's to clean it up like I've done many times before, put it back together, and it now runs opposite of every other locomotive I have.

I've ripped it apart about 10 times now, reversed the motor contacts, and a bunch of other components, but to no avail.

I've messed something up big time and am ready to take a Schledgehammer to it.

Does anyone have any advice for how to rectify (pun intended) my issue?

Thanks!
PA Dan

NSMoWandS

If you took the trucks off the frame... try swapping them with each other. Athearns will do the same thing you described if you accidently swap trucks. Hope this helps. DE Dan

dschlegel

Thanks Dan, I'll give that a shot tonight.
PA Dan

dschlegel

I'm sorry to report swapping trucks didn't do the trick. Should I just drink more beer to help me think of the solution?
Seriously if anyone has any other tricks to try let me know. I've had this locomotive about 15 years and it's always been a great runner.
PA Dan

NSMoWandS

Then you either crossed a couple of wires or you have "crushed" one and it is shorting out somewhere. DE Dan

dschlegel

I think the beer helped. I ended up turning the motor around 180 and it turns the way it should now.

The design overall is pretty solid with the exception that one can put the motor into the assembly in the wrong polarity easily. Everything else is what we call "poke-a-yoke" at work in that you can't put a component incorrectly into the assembly.

In any case, thanks for the tip and thank goodness I got it going again. This has frustrated me for a week and a half!
PA Dan

NSMoWandS

Motor in backwards? Yeah, shouldn't be able to do that! LOL! Gald you got it working... correctly. LOL! DE Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk