Rochester Model RR Club

Started by Matt L, March 11, 2014, 08:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I like model trains, but there is not enough space in this tiny shoebox that I call home for a layout. On the other hand, I do enjoy visiting layouts built by other railfans. The Rochester Model RR Club celebrated their 75th anniversary (yes, you read 75) by having an open house this weekend. I spent the better part of the morning trackside, albeit in 1:87 style.

The layout itself is modeled mostly after the Lehigh Valley RR, a much loved fallen flag with a devoted following in upstate NY. However, this bridge is modeled after the former Erie RR/EL  bridge in Portage, NY:

Members can and do bring their own trains to run alongside the club's trains, so it is possible to NYC and PRR meet on LV:

N&W was represented by a 2-6-6-2 on the turntable:

This location was modeled after the LV yard in Sayre, PA... complete with locmotives that stopped there in the '70s:

The B&O (I think!) pulls up to a signal on the LV main:

The tail end of the B&O train passes through Rochester Junction:

An LV mixed freight with U-boats on point:

I like getting the tail end of model trains, too!

The Lackawanna heritage unit and NS OCS were sitting in the terminal at Buffalo:

An anthracite coal breaker and LV RDC at Hazelton, PA:

My friend mark owns this LV passenger train. However, his engine overheated and had whhel problems, so it was pulled off in favor of a Snowbird.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 3/8/2014 in Rochester, NY.  A special thanks goes out to the Rochester model RR Club for their hospitality, and for creating an amazing layout.  

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

NSMoWandS

Nice! Are you a member? That way you could bring your trains and run them there. The Portage Bridge is absolutely excellent! Been there many times... and it going to be sad to see it go... well, maybe not for the TY&E crews! LOL! DE Dan

Matt L

Thanks for the suggestion. However, my trains are O-Gauge so that won't work. 

I will also miss the Portage Bridge. It's one of the most scenic spots in NY, IMO. I agree the TY&E crews won't miss it. NS has sensors on the bridge to monitor its stability. The new bridge could really open the Southern Tier Mainline to more traffic.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk