Queen of the fleet

Started by Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR, April 13, 2012, 10:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I guess everyone has a favorite on their model roster, and here's mine, a former NYC sw1 made by walthers. She now wears the best looking scheme a diesel could ask for, I'd love to take credit but this was a gift from Lou Jacquits (spelling?) , if you've read the mid eighties issue of Trains devoted to the inception of the PAL you'll know he invented the name and paint scheme before the Pal existed by modeling the IC Kentucky division and naming it after the two biggest cities. He rode a OCS with me once and asked how I got into railroading, I explained how papaw and I walked nearly daily to see her sitting in town by the depot. Needless to say a few months later a package arrived with this in it. I'd love to see some of your favorites  you own and the stories to go with them.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

NSMoWandS

Looks like you are trying to get on Badhorse's and EM's good side! haha! Great model. I will post mine later.

Badhorse79

Look at that... amen to that MoW ... nice looking Loco K.I.T... I took a picture of my friend Kenny on her in Lawrenceburg a looong time ago... I need to get a copy of that from him ...

I only let Em see it in photos, we live too close to each other, he'd find it if I showed him were I keep it lol. We walked to see it religiously, probably the most important nonliving influence of my youth. I have found that several others on here had the same respect for that unit and the 1007.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

E.M. Bell

Pictures only eh?? Well big boy, you play with your model...I rather enjoyed getting to run the real thing last year (again)   :P

You have a keeper there for sure...needs to be in a glass case on your mantle for sure.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Lol, I just need to find a little engineer figure smoking a pipe.....running the real thing trumps me I believe ;D

NSMoWandS

Ok, before you all hate on me... here is some history. When I first started modeling when I was young... I fell in love with Seaboard System... I think it was the bright red and yellow stripes on the french grey... but that is what I started to model. Then, came CSX. When they first came out... it was literally years before the model market caught up back then. So, being a 12 year old boy... I bought decals, paint and went to work. This is the first model I ever painted and decaled! Just recently I added the yellow nose, white roof, and new number(original was wrecked and scrapped). Even though it has been updated... the original paint and decals still look... well, 26 years old!!! And it still runs great!

Badhorse79

Wow that looks sweet MoW ... here is my first loco my dad picked it up from johnny toys in latonia Kentucky  and it origanaly started out as a NS standard GP40-2 It became 1378 high hood so like the real road I chopped and numbered as what 1378 turned out as a rebuild

thpbears

You all have some nice looking engines. I remember when I first started railroading  12 years or so ago not counting the Lionel trains I got when I was four I threw away all the detail parts and thought I just want to run the trains. Now many years later after replacing all those parts that are in the landfill somewhere I think what the &^%$ was I thinking? Since I did not win the huge lottery Badhorse and NSMowandS  I will just have to keep saving my money until I have enough to fly you all here and help build a huge NS layout. But have a bag packed and ready cause you just never know. :)

Badhorse79

Um bears if I could actually get some time off of work!  Id come over n help mean while ill keep looking for a home over that way so the drive can be a lil more easier

MOW, hey whatever road you love as a kid is always the best, that's a neat looking engine, badhorse has a sweet looking unit too, I was always a sucker for NS, growing up in lawrenceburg it was a given. I still love the little Madison railroad in Indiana, I recently bought a prr sd7 special built for that grade, it is a Broadway limited. When I get my nerve to attempt a paint job i'm gonna try the paint scheme they use on the CMPA now (Madison rr). Still working up the gumption.

I don't think this beats my queen, but I bought this today and I'm not a huge steam fan so this is rare for me, but articulated logging steam engine? Yeah I think I'll have one

NSMoWandS

Looks good! Just set it up on a track... put a fence around it... and you got yourself a nice centerpiece for a rail park!

I had that same thought, I bought a little bobber caboose and loaded log cars to match, might make a neat park display piece like you're describing.

NSD9-40CW

I have 2 Queens one of my KCS fleet and one of my NS fleet.

Heres my Custom Tower 55 KCS ES44AC #4704. It has the late style rear vents, relocated rear headlight,custom paint job and etc all by me.

Then heres the queen of my NS Fleet NS SD70 #2532
Railfan of the KCS and NS in Louisiana

chipallen16

Wow! If you don't mind me asking, where did that SD70 come from? Those are by far my favorite EMD units, and I will be adding one to my layout soon.

-Chip :)

NSD9-40CW

Thanks,the SD70 started out as an undec SD70 that I detailed,painted,and weathered up.
Railfan of the KCS and NS in Louisiana

chipallen16

Cool! Well, great job!

-Chip  :)

NSMoWandS

Love the rusty cab roof on the SD70.

Not to be left out, I finally acquired a model of the ten o two's sister, the ten o seven, a few on here will appreciate my two glamour girls a little more than others I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk