Main Menu

Gevo info

Started by Badhorse79, June 10, 2011, 07:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Ok I'm In the middle of Scratch building a Gevo and I really need a Really good pic of the top of the radiator section , I have the drawling from the 05'  modelrailroader and it look just wrong I've looked and couldn't find a good ! Any help is greatly appreciated

Badhorse79

Ok nevermind this wonderful thing called google helped me I guess I never thought to do that lol geez

E.M. Bell

Our own Mr. Toth has a a bunch of detail shots of various NS power on his web site, if you haven't checked that out already. Im not sure if he has what you are looking for as I am to lazy to go look at GE's, but it may be of some help :)

http://www.nsdash9.com/
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Badhorse79

Thanks EM ! I love Dash9's web site but unfortunately the detail photo section is down at this moment but I did find a few helpful photos I just wanted to see a basic deminsion and all that jazz I'm gonna post a few pics of what I have built so far ! But my cameras outta town at a graduation that I missed due working retail yippie so as soon as I get it back I'll post them

Michael Knight

Hi Badhorse,

I've been trying to think where I saw them on the Web, but there were several detail pics of the radiator sections on GEVO units. Apparently, there is an extra, raised fan and grill on later units that is not present on the early ones.

Badhorse79

Yeah I noticed that too that's  why I was lookin for the photos but I found them on google Im doing 7589 but I've gone to far to add the taller fan cover things ( I really need to find the technical names for this stuff) so as long as I have the basic look I'm cool with it I'm OCD about somethings but not everything on it , it's getting to be to complicated and I'm not enjoying it ya know what I mean So I'm keeping it simple I'll post pics tomarrow night of whats been done All n all it's turning out ok just need the rest of the parts and patients and I'll begin the next project

Badhorse79

ok here it is so far  I used an xato to scribe the engine compartment doors there a lil messed up

Badhorse79

here are a few really bad examples of my attempt to build one of the beasts

ns_7011

That's a lot of hard work you've put into that, don't give up on it! It looks good!
EMD all the way.

Badhorse79

Thanks for the comment ! I hope my patients hang in there ! This has been by far the most dedication I've put in a loco

Michael Knight

Badhorse, that radiator section looks amazing! Considering it's all scratch-built, you are having great results!
What doors and screens are you using? Are these separate parts or are you having to cut them out of other shells? Again, that's really amazing that you have the skill to "bash" all of that together from scratch!

Badhorse79

Thanks I'm really getting into this loco and am glad you guys are liking it so far ! All the black doors are cut up from the missing rear section still need one more to add , the brass doors are from the details west capacitor set ! I have a bunch more detail kits and parts ordered from railpowers web sight ( witch I ordered 2 weeks ago ) hopefully they show up soon ! Im also going to make the big box section behind the conductor side from scratch as well I think that'll make it more unique than just slapping it together  ! I really can't wait to paint it and get it running ! I'll post more updates as soon as possible

Ptrainman

Man that looks great. I wish I had the patience and skin to do that kind of work.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Badhorse79

okay  I finally got the parts from ppw-a-line after waiting 3 weeks     Anywho here are a few updates 

I added thr rear anti-climber
Top mount number boards 
Finished the top of the radiator section
placed the GPS dome on
rear headlight

Badhorse79

also added the fuel tank details

Badhorse79

the next update will be, the airtank detail kit from details west, the front door is getting replaced, the box behind the conductor,and alot more

thanks for looking 
Eric

Michael Knight

With all of the add on parts you are installing, that thing is going to have more detail than one of those Intermountain rtr factory built unit! Great work!

Badhorse79

Maybe I can build a mold for it and start mass production and I'll have a new career  !?  .... Lol yeah right ha no but thanks! It getting there a few mire parts and it's ready for the spray booth im just waiting for a few more parts to arrive and it's done in that aspect just need to order handrails and decals

Michael Knight

Making a mold of your finished product, refining it slightly to machine accuracies, and you're in business with the most detailed GEVO on the market! Of course, that would take the model-making fun out of it though. Great job! Keep it up!

Badhorse79

ok here is 7655 sitting outside the shops in progress hopefully the rest of th decals are tonight    Im going to order another set from shellscale these are left overs and ill need the nose and tail decals also need to figuer out how to make the horsehead decals smaller i know of just 1 Gevo with larger kind . well here it is shining and clean (for now )

NSD9-40CW

After seeing this I got motivated to start me an NS ES40DC to run along with my Custom T55 KCS ES44AC

Railfan of the KCS and NS in Louisiana

Badhorse79

Did you make yer own X-Panels ? I tryed one on the side where the exhaust stack is and I wasn't satisfied! But looks good so far if ya have any questions or tips let me know ? I will do one of the AC versions just not Right now

NSD9-40CW

I did Make the X Panels myself an they are real easy to do. Just Take some styrene cut to the Shape of the panel an take some pliers an bend the styrene like an X. Would U happen to have another Cab an some of the Raditor Vents for the side? a, What type of horn is that you used?

Badhorse79

No cab sorry and for the vents I used the molded doors sanded really flat or are you talking about the v type louvers those are made from cannon and co. SD90MAC radiator grills cut to fit

NSD9-40CW

Ight Thanks man would you happen to have any type of messanger?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk