January 2015 “FPF” Birmingham East End

Started by NSSpike, February 03, 2015, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSSpike

Like most areas along the eastern US, Georgia has had its share of nasty days and not much sunshine. Rain and overcast days are the norm this time of year but sometimes you just have to get out track side and see what's running on the "FPF". NS Birmingham to Atlanta mainline AKA, the Foreign Power Funnel. Plenty of KCS, UP, TFM, BNSF and others are a regular on a daily basis along with a fair share of NS power. A couple of observations this month. "IN and OUTS" Trains run in and out of sidings without stopping. Only conclusion I can come up with is it is a work around related to miscalculations by the Auto-Router. Also have noted a new tone when someone tones up the dispatcher, not sure but I believe it is only occurring off the Bremen base station?  Dispatchers received new head sets recently and are coming in on the scanner much clearer.

NS 220 (DALLAS, TX (KCS IDAAT)- ATLANTA, GA) with KCS 4107 leading an NS and TFM unit rolls past the Douglasville signal  at MP 659.9

NS 226 (LOS ANGELES, CA (UP ZLCAI) - ATLANTA, GA) a trio of UP power lead by the 8705 rolls through Temple Georgia   This train included a DPU unit, UP 8899, SD70AH.   

Looks like "dealer paperwork" still hanging on the inside of the cab window of this new unit

NS 220 (DALLAS, TX (KCS IDAAT)- ATLANTA, GA) with KCS 4145 leading this train east into downtown Villa Rica Georgia MP670

NS 24E (DALLAS, TX (KCS IDAAT2) - ATLANTA, GA) with NS 9096 leading rolls under the signal bridge east bound through Villa Rica Georgia  Close quarters here for sure. Not a shot I plan to take again anytime soon as not much room between the right turn lane and the retaining wall.

NS 24E (DALLAS, TX (KCS IDAAT2) - ATLANTA, GA) with a pair of Southern Belle units at CP 669.9 Villa Rica Note the cut of auto-racks on the head end of this intermodal train. These were more than likely picked up at the NS McCalla intermodal facility just east of the Mercedes-Benz plant at Vance Alabama.

NS 23E (ATLANTA, GA - DALLAS, TX (KCS IATDA2) with a pair of gray GE AC units heads west out of Bremen Georgia.

NS 226 (LOS ANGELES, CA (UP ZLCAI) - ATLANTA, GA) UP 5729 & NS I20 KCS 4779 (DALLAS, TX (KCS IDAAT)- ATLANTA, GA.)    NS 226 went on the law and tied down on the main line in Lithia Springs. This was after twice having to push a struggling 172 (NEW ORLEANS, LA (UP QLINSL) - LINWOOD, NC) west of Heflin Ala. up Iron Mountain and west of Douglasville up Winston Hill. I20 entered the siding at Ben Hill and tied down their train and took 226 on into Atlanta. They taxied back to Lithia Springs and took their train on into Atlanta later in the afternoon.
Rare to see a 226 with KCS power in the consist!!

NS 220 (DALLAS, TX (KCS IDAAT)- ATLANTA, GA) with TFM 1652 (Transportacion Ferroviaria Mexicana)
owned by KCSI, Kansas City Southern Industries, leads this east bound through Villa Rica Georgia

NS 226 (LOS ANGELES, CA (UP ZLCAI) - ATLANTA, GA) with a pair of UP and NS units heads east at Waco Georgia

NS 290 (MCCALLA, AL - CROXTON, NJ) NS 9831 rolls over the "C-Line" diamond at Bremen Georgia

NS 733 (GP Scherer – BNSF Memphis Interchange) with four units on the head end rolls west through Villa Rica Georgia  No unit in DPU mode on this MT PRB coal drag and according to reliable sources it appears this train was reversed at the plant with the head end power placed on the rear of the train and an EOT applied. Either a problem with the DPU units or a work around for non qualified DPU crews on the Alabama side of the NS

NSSpike
CDDX
MP680.6

leroy

Nice shots Spike... Looks ta be plenty foreign engines down there... I always enjoy seein them...
Thanks for takin the time to post these great pictures...

leroy
leroy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk