Snow on the NS and a trip to the PAL

Started by Gage O'Dell, January 28, 2015, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gage O'Dell

As Emmett already posted earlier, we took a little road trip to Western Kentucky to the Paducah and Louisville Railway to see the Norfolk and Western heritage unit, but were treated to a couple of other goodies while we were over there. Before we made the 3 hour journey, we stayed around home to shoot a couple trains on the Louisville District while the snow was fresh and still around before the warmer weather melted it all. After shooting a surprisingly clean UP EMD, we started our journey west toward the PAL, my first visit in fact. And it couldn't have started any better by shooting a set of 6 Geeps leading an empty coal train headed for the mine at McHenry. After shooting them and a loaded CSX coal train, NS 890 finally got on the move and we started our chase in amazing light and were treated to a beautiful sunset.

All in all it was a fantastic day and a great first road trip of 2015. Below are a few pictures from the days adventure, you can see the rest over on my Flickr>>https://www.flickr.com/photos/46459752@N08/

NS M67 pops into a winter wonderland at Alton Station

NS M67 kicks up snow as it rolls through Nevin

PAL LG3 rolls through the open valley at Spring Lake with fresh Kentucky snow

LC3 curves through the small town of McHenry as it prepares to back into the Armstrong Mine

NW 8103 pushes hard on PAL LCL3 (NS 890) as it passes by a classic Illinois Central signal near Beaver Dam, KY

The sun sets in the sky as P&L LCL3 rounds the bend at Spring Lake near Caneyville, KY.

leroy

Gage... Great shots... My favorite is the full face shot of P&L2113....

Keep up the good work...
leroy
leroy

Matt L

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Gage O'Dell

Quote from: Matt L on January 29, 2015, 08:09:12 PM
What type of EMDs are the PAL engines?

3, I believe, are GP40-3s and the other 3 are slugs, not sure what classification

Bill Richardson

Some of their engines are "roadmates".  I saw an abbreviated version of that name on a couple of them.  Number 2104 is one.  It has "RdMate" in small letters right under the number on the cab.

thpbears

Matt L

Thanx for the answers, guys. The engines look great.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk