630 ferry run on the Danville District

Started by mbgphoto79, March 27, 2013, 11:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbgphoto79

Made it a point to get out and catch this one as I won't have the opportunity to ride or chase any of the excursions this year. Originally I was just going to catch her coming through the Greensboro area but at the last minute I decided to head north to Danville, VA and meet up with some friends who could show me around. What transpired was an awesome chase through the Piedmont of North Carolina along side an amazing machine.

I caught 630 coming through Greensboro last June but she was hampered by a 30mph speed restriction and the blistering heat of the day erased any kind of a steam show. Yesterday was a much different story! Cool temps, cloudy skies and fast running made for an awesome sight as the century old work of art alerted the quiet towns of her presence. Enough of the poor writing, here are the photos..

Ruffin, NC

Pacing along Old US 29

Making good time south of Ruffin, NC

In the curve north of Reidsville, NC.

Just south of CP Busick headed into Greensboro, NC.

Matt

Ptrainman

Nice shots man. If I hadnt had previous commitments I would have been out there with yall.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

butch

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Ponce de Leon

I agree....great shots, Matt! That's a nice variety of compositions.
Ron Flanary

mbgphoto79

Thank you gentlemen for the comments!

Matt

etalcos

Wait a minute, hold it, something's not right.  It appears that the GP-40 and road slug set have morphed into an SD something or the other.  I knew they shouldn't have been left alone in the dark....

Thanks for the pix Matt.

mbgphoto79

Yes, the slug set was cut off in Lynchburg, VA along with three coaches to run back to Altoona. They will be used on employee trips there. They will be returning to Spencer before the next excursions take place. I must say the 6594 didn't look half bad running LHF with her!

Matt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk