Train Dispatcher 3.5

Started by ccaranna, July 15, 2006, 12:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccaranna

I'm wondering who else has this program, and if they're addicted to it as much as I am.  I'm currently running the Dayton district, which is busy and there's not too many places to put trains.  I also uploaded (for free!) the Sandusky (not too difficult) and Columbus districts, too.

I can see how it might get a little repetitious, but it's fun nonetheless.  I'd like to try and get the latest train lists, though.  The ones that came with the territories I have are from '01.

cmherndon

QuoteI'm wondering who else has this program, and if they're addicted to it as much as I am.

I've got it, but I wouldn't exactly say I'm addicted...yet.  I do enjoy playing it and find it to be much more intellectually stimulating than Train Sim.  I'm currently running the Conrail Boston Line between Boston and Selkirk.

If you'd like a couple of more difficult territores, check out the NS North End and NS East End territores here on the site.  

http://jreb.org/td3

ccaranna

Thanks for the link Caleb, I think I'd seen those territories once before but forgot where.  

There's one strange thing I can't figure out that's come up recently while running a simulation.  There's a move where a local has to back into a siding.  When the train reappears after completing its duties, it comes back onto the territory with the engine first.  The only problem is that the exit for the train is the same spot it originated, and I cannot figure out how to separate the engine from the consist and place it on the other end so the engine is leading on the return.  I'm having to back the train all the way across the territory at 10 m.p.h.!  That can't be the way the real railroads would handle this situation.  Talk about a traffic jam, trying to duck it into all (two!) of the sidings enroute as I'm running priority freights around it.  What a mess.  I checked the manual to see if it's possible to perform a run-around type move, but no luck.

E.M. Bell

Addictive it can be. I have spent entire cloudy cold weekends sitting here running certain sims though 4 or 5 days of time. I HAD train sim, and found it to be very unrealistic in the way the train handled, but when you have spent as much time as I have at the throttle, you would expect as much. Im sure a regular dispatcher might say the same about TD3 though.  The game makes you use your brain and plan moves 15 or 20 steps ahead... throw in a constantly ringing phone, non-stop radio and some tums and its about as close as any of us will get..

Forum member Gene Hardy created two sims that cover some of my favorite line to shoot. The CNO&TP and Louisville district. You can find some screen shots here.  http://jreb.org/td3/
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ccaranna

I'm wondering how to make the TD 3 simulation as close as possible to the real thing.  For example, I don't have a clue as to the number of instances in a 1000 that a signal or switch fails and requires a maintainer (and how long it takes for him to fix the problem), as well as how often trains break down, derail, are late, and don't forget defect detector alarms, too!  I think the randomness is what makes the sim challenging and interesting.  Does anyone have any guidelines on how to set these parameters for NS operations?

Thanks,

Chuck

jcmark4501

Quote from: "ccaranna"I'm wondering how to make the TD 3 simulation as close as possible to the real thing.  For example, I don't have a clue as to the number of instances in a 1000 that a signal or switch fails and requires a maintainer (and how long it takes for him to fix the problem), as well as how often trains break down, derail, are late, and don't forget defect detector alarms, too!  I think the randomness is what makes the sim challenging and interesting.  Does anyone have any guidelines on how to set these parameters for NS operations?

Thanks,

Chuck

Nothing ever fails during NS operations, if it does, you are fired.  :wink:

In reality, if you are setting up a sim, you might want to have all the different break downs occur in 24 hours as this is about typical, or at least it gives your user something to do besides just run trains.

As a train dispatcher (although not for NS or CSX) I can say that TD3 gives you the feel of running trains but, not everything a train dispatcher goes through in a typical day. In TD3 all the trains are in the computer and pop up on the screen exactly on time, in reality the dispatcher has to input the information on his trainsheet screen and sometimes has to even put the train symbol onto the train when it first pops onto the screen. IIRC, TD3 lets you fleet signals but, not "stack" commands. Stacking commands allows you to give a signal several different commands at once. Say you have a train meet at signal A, you can stack signal A to reverse the switch and line the signal in the oppistie direction once the first train has cleared. This frees up dispatchers and allows them to work WAY in advance.

In TD3, you know exactly where the train is going as soon as it enters your territory. In reality, dispatchers are always talking with yardmasters about when and where to put the incoming trains.

In TD3, track inspectors politely ask for track time and give it up exactly when you tell them to. In reality, inspectors piss and moan until you give them track and when you tell them they got 20 minutes, they think they have an hour.

If you want some real fun, CSX now has Nex Gen dispatching which should make from a great simulator. From what I have been told, once a train appears on the territory, the computer lines all switches and makes all meets for the dispatcher. This leaves teh disaptcher free to answer the phone and radio and to persue a dispatcher's favorite passtime, drinking coffee.

E.M. Bell

td3 allows you to stack up to 10 preplanned moved per block or CP.. most handy on them busy days..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NS 2557

Can you please give me the website were i can download this
You cant spell garbage without GE

CSX = Chemical Spill Xperts

E.M. Bell

you can get the TD3 software here  http://www.softrail.com/railsof.html

and once you get it, try out these two local NS sism that Gene put together..

http://jreb.org/td3/
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ccaranna

Quote from: "jcmark4501"In reality, dispatchers are always talking with yardmasters about when and where to put the incoming trains.

In reality, inspectors piss and moan until you give them track and when you tell them they got 20 minutes, they think they have an hour.

Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin'bout!  That would be fun.  There's a lot more of the human element involved.  Though you can set up the simulation to represent crews handling their trains in different ways (running fast vs. slow, or fast vs. slow reaction times) there's something about dealing with people in real life that makes this dispatching thing very challenging. Who has  time for coffee?  ;)

J 484 fan

It has been awhile since I have been on this site, but I recently purchased TD3 and I'm hooked. I especially like the ones for NS Roanoke, VA and Decatur, ILL. These sims will definitley keep you busy. I came to this site seeing if I can find out train scheduling information to do a sim for Elkhart Yard. I live near there and I know they have a 67 track classification bowl according to North American Rail Yards by Micheal Rhodes. I think it would be an interesting sim, but only if the train movements are realistic. Can anyone help me with this info? Also is there anyplace to obtain more detailed yard track information? Two other challenging sims if you can tolerate CSX for the sake of the challenge are the Queensgate and Frontier Yard sims available on the TD3 site.

Backyard

8) Trainee, have you got the demo version of Track Builder 3, from Softrail?

Get it here: http://www.softrail.com/trackbuilder3.html.

You can find out all the details of route building, from the .pdf files.

For example, the run times for the trains, are set-up by time vs distance.  The dispatch board may show a short block, however the runtime for that block, is based upon track speed+distance.

Check...check...check out the software!
Backyard/Allen

J 484 fan

I have downloaded the demo but where can I find schedule information for trains that run through that yard? I know several intermodals run through there and I am pretty sure most coal trains I see come from the Powder River Basin. I also see several coal empties highball through back towards Chicago and then I presume west from there via UP or BNSF. I know that the doubletrack mainline from Elkhart to Chicago at least right in my area is cleared for 65mph. That's about all I know and I want it to be as close to the real operation as possible. Especially real train movements. I think I kind find a schematic map for the yard under a search for Robert Young Yard from the NYC days. That is if that site still exists.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk