NS in California

Started by butch, July 14, 2010, 02:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

On vacation with my family out west and heading into L.A. yesterday, I took time to check out Cajon Pass for a few hours.  Four tracks running on three different grades is quite the site-3 BNSF and 1 UP.  Anyway, the last train I saw had NS 8697 working the grade.  The shadows killed the pic, but I thought it was interesting.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

E.M. Bell

you go all the way to the Left Coast just to shoot a black GE...Impressive :)  Say hey to the govenator for me! 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

I found a spot at Cajon Pass with more traffic than KD Tower.  A little railfan oasis has been set up on a ridge between the lower track and the two mains-with track #4 just above the duos.  A person could sit there all day. 
Butch Adkins

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

Sounds like a busy place, they probably threw that horsehead in the consist to help you not get homesick while youre out of town ;D 
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

E.M. Bell

Butch, would that spot be the famous HILL 582...or is it 587...I dont remember exactly, but it can be seen on the Western Board of TO all the time..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Yes it would-notice the concrete slab with the 1913 date from one of the daylighted tunnels.
Butch Adkins

E.M. Bell

Thats pretty niffty. I have seen pics of that place on TO a few times. I should have known it had something to do with a tunnel.  Looks like yall are having a awesome time! 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Well, I'm doing laundry right now-that happens on two-week trips.  Been trying to throw up a few trip pix on FB when I get the chance.  I have a guy who is going to meet me Wed. morning and spend half a day giving me the Donner Pass area tour-should be a bunch of tunnels.
Butch Adkins

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk