Signals

Started by Gage O'Dell, December 01, 2008, 06:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gage O'Dell

Anyone know or have any websites that I can get the signals on the Marion Branch(that runs through Warsaw and Wabash Indiana) or The signals on the Chicago line that runs through Warsaw, and Burket Indiana  I was up there recently and couldn't figure them out     There aer some on the Marion Branch that I saw they said 63N and 65N and my dad said they only go on when trains are on They are the ones Steam trains used   But it confused us usually when a train goes though the signal the other side is RED but not this one because after about 10 seconds the other side was Green and the side he went through was RED why is that? ???

jcmark4501

Quote from: trainchaser2 on December 01, 2008, 06:09:44 PM
.... and my dad said they only go on when trains are on They are the ones Steam trains used   But it confused us usually when a train goes though the signal the other side is RED but not this one because after about 10 seconds the other side was Green and the side he went through was RED why is that? ???

Those are approach lit signals, which many railroads used and still use today. This saves on electricity.
The signal going to green sounds like ABS or a CTC that was stacked with a command to clear the route for a movement in the opposite direction.

http://www.lundsten.dk/us_signaling/abs_apb/index.html

ssmith1627

I'm struggling with some of those concepts as well.   Lots of variety between and within railroads which doesn't help.

Found that site and these as well:
http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/rail/Signal/aspect_concord.html

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Rail_Signal_Aspects.pdf

A lot of information.  And from the perspective of the guy driving the train, I can understand it.   At least on a basic level.   But what can we as railfans learn from seeing a signal ?

The guys here told me about a signal for the K&O departing the Sevier yard.  That's very useful because of the timing.  If you see a green, you know a train is going up that way in the near future.

The opposite doesn't seem to hold true though.  If you see a red signal, you can't assume a train is coming from the other direction soon.  Correct ?    The signals between the Sevier yard here in Knoxville and the wye at Beverly will sometimes be red and sometimes be yellow.   I've seen signals down on the West End line in west Knoxville showing green.   But I've never been able to put any of those indications to good use in determining where a train might be.

The scanner helps a lot, especially for the outbound trains.  I can hear the dispatcher give track authority, usually pick up the train number, and if my three-year-old is quiet enough I can figure out if they're going up the K&O or down the West End.     I haven't been able to figure out much about trains headed into the yard though. 

Sorry to ramble on.  Just throwing out some thoughts from a new railfan.   Thought maybe the discussion would be helpful for others trying to learn like I am.   

Thanks guys.

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk