Scanners

Started by blue flag, July 23, 2008, 07:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue flag

I have been around several scanners other people have had railfanning, and some seem to pick up a good bit better then others, Does anyone have any advice on which scanner to buy, dont really wanna pay for alot of bells and whistles just extra good reception
thanks,

JCagle

A good antenna is more important than the scanner. I would say a basic scanner and a good antenna will give you the best reception for the buck. Antennas are not as expensive and there are lots of  websites that have reviews and ratings to help you find what antenna you want for the price.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

TB4JY

Quote from: jbcagle7073 on July 23, 2008, 11:15:23 PM
A good antenna is more important than the scanner. I would say a basic scanner and a good antenna will give you the best reception for the buck. Antennas are not as expensive and there are lots of  websites that have reviews and ratings to help you find what antenna you want for the price.

I agree 100%. 

CAGY 2777

As has been stated, the antenna is the biggest key. I have an adjustable antenna where you could take sections out of it and had just always used it in its orginal 2 foot form until recently. I took all the length out of it down to about 18 inches and let me tell you, I could about pick up Radio Tokyo or Radio Ga Ga with it insofar as rail related channels. A friend of mine told me something about it was the correct length to pick up the specific wave range that typical RR frequencies use. I dunno but it has worked LOTS better. I only use my scanner for railfanning purposes and NOAA Weather Radio so it's worked out wonderfully.

I think you can buy anntena's specific to railfanning. You might want to check the following link out for an example. Thinking of getting one of these myself.....

http://www.railcom.net/railscan.htm

But good advice would be just as jbcagle posted previously.

I can't say exactly what the best scanner  to buy would be. I've never really bought a lemon of one. Right now of all things I have a desk mount Radio Shack something or another, can't remember the number or model and it has tons of stuff on it...that I don't use or know how sense it was given to me 2nd hand but new at the time because it was never used by the relative who got it. I have it where it stays mounted on my dash inside my truck but I remove it and take it inside after every trip. Hope this helps.

Chris
Proud hater of RailPrics.net & their over inflated ego.

E.M. Bell

First thing, DONT buy a "scanner" from anywhere.  Scanners, no matter who makes them, just wont have the RX sensitivity that you seem to want. They are made to cover a wide range of freqs, without really centering in on any of them.  You can put the best antenna on the world on there, but it just wont help. 

The antenna IS a vital component, but the radio is where the love is at :)

Get on ebay, or go searching for some used commercial gear.  Used commercial gear is usually plentiful on ebay, and if you get the right thing, will work a lot better...its MADE to cover the range you want to listen to.  Any VHF radio that is made by GE would be my first choice (GE does make killer radios, locomotives...you all know how I feel there)   and of course motorola.   I can highly recomened the GE PCS or MPA handhelds.  I own a couple of each, and they are just fantastic radios.  You will pay more for them (not as much as you might think though) and you will have to have a radio shop program them for you (unless you know someone that can do that...I am lucky there).

should you want more info or some help searching, let me know. Ill see what I can dredge up for you.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JCagle

and as far as the cost goes they are that much more expensive than buying a high end scanner. If you have the desire you can also get your license for a nominal fee and become a licensed amateur radio operator. You will also be freed from some state laws concerning use of a scanner while driving in some locations.

We had some discussions here over a year ago that arehttp://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=3408.0 here.  Hope this helps
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

blue flag

I am coming alittle closer to making up my mind on what to buy,  I really dont wanna put more then 150 into this scanning outfit,
I intend to buy a handheld to best cover my usage.  The biggest uncertiany for me now  is scanner or transceiver?
the transceivers seem to center in on a  narrower frequency range, and its the range  im looking to cover.

Harry Gaydosz

I use a Radio Shack PRO-528, with a modified Radio Shack  200-032 moble antenna.  The antenna makes a huge diffrence....cheap and easy modification.

Found it here:
http://www.alabamarailfan.com/scanner.php

J-man

I don't have a great setup, but I do have a Yaesu  mobile transceiver.  It's got great reception and sound, but like the others have said, the antenna is the important part. 

blue flag, go for a transceiver, not a scanner.
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk