Where can I find Train Dispatcher 3?

Started by alxmoss1992, January 01, 2008, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backyard

8) First, all the resolutions presented, did not say what size the monitor is...

I'm running a damn 19 inch wide-screen monitor(I can't for the life of me, figure out why everything went "wide-screen").

The native resolution is 1440x900....I bet you don't even recognize this res.

I wish to get a 17" flat panel, standard resolution monitor(cheaply), that can handle 1024x768.  I'm familiar with that.

Yes, Microsoft Train Simulator, is a dog....that deserves the trashing it gets!

If you wish to enjoy a realistic train ride, check out Auran Trainz Simulator 2006.  The cabs are correct, the sound is real, the routes(Clinchfield Railroad, Tehachapi Loop, Asheville to Old Fort(the Loops), Digital Elevation Models, that have the real world terrain modeled, including the hard grades of each respective railroad).  All the old timers, all the paint schemes, all the latest locomotives, are available, to run the wheels off.  There is what I call the Mother of All Game Controllers, the RailDriver Desktop, that allows consistently accurate control of the dynamics of train handling.

The only more realistic train simulation, is the motion simulator, the TS-3 Trainer, used by NS, BNSF, CSX(the Conrail), UP.  These, use a real world scenery, created by a camera on the front of a locomotive running the route to be simulated, at $500 per mile.

Flight Simulator Ten(FS-X), uses a similar method(satellite overview), and that's the only way to better, what is currently available as a train-sim.

Yes, I enjoy running Train3(TrainDispatcher3), on the Atlanta to Chattanooga Route, the Danville to Oakdale Route, and have others, however the lack of ability to view the larger routes, scares me...

I print out the train list, with entry times, and prefer to have the Active Train List on screen, whilst I operate.
Backyard/Allen

bsbaxter

I too prefer to have the Active Train list window open all the time while I am playing.  I usually try to leave enough room along the bottom of my sims so that I can have the window open showing 2-3 lines of train info and still see entire territory.  Most territories are so large that they can't be squeezed onto one screen, so my preference is to scroll vertically instead of horizontally.  With all of the other software packages that require vertical scrolling (IE, for example, on this website!), I don't find it to be a big problem.

BSB

geno404

Any of you who were working on new territories back a month or so ago made enough progress to share one of your new routes?

It's a long, cold weekend...I'm bored...looking for a new 'toy' to play with!

Please do share!   :)

TB4JY

Quote from: geno404 on February 23, 2008, 08:55:10 AM
Any of you who were working on new territories back a month or so ago made enough progress to share one of your new routes?

It's a long, cold weekend...I'm bored...looking for a new 'toy' to play with!

Please do share!   :)

Working.

Tired.

Sick of RR.

Will resume work on it sooner or later.  Sorry.

bsbaxter

I actually finished playtesting a full week of my AJ just a few hours ago (and have already fixed the few bugs that were left)!

I need to dust off and update the sim notes that I had put together many months ago, but I'd be happy to send it out after that...

Brandon

geno404

Great...would love to see it when you get it ready to go!

J484fan

I liked TD3 but found dislikes with it. There was never any suffient tutorial made and never having worked for a RR I was almost always running behind with my train schedules. I had considered buying some of the TD books softrail has available but they seem a bit pricey. I haven't played the game for quite awhile now for that reason. It would help to have a better understanding of how to more effeiciently work the yards or system sections.

Backyard

8) J484, I agree, there is plenty of instruction about how to use the sim, but not much about why.

On the web, the books offered by SignalCC, are the best bets on learning modern railroad practices, because they are so comprehensive.  Any other way of learning, would probably cost more in the long run, and so much would probably be left out.

Several training sources use those particular books for their curriculum.
Backyard/Allen

J484fan

Thanks Backyard, The sims that were probably my favorites were NS's Decatur, IL, CSX Queensgate Yard and the Powder River Basin where you were running nothing but coal trains. I would still like to learn enough about the game to eventually create a sim for Elkhart Yard. I'd like to see more NS creations featuring the busiest yards in their system. I like the yard sims better because there is more to do.
Actually, if it were possible a game using the best features of TD3 RT3 and Auranz Trainz would be the coolest thing. Don't know if we have the tech yet for something of that magnitude anyway.
A touch on the Railroad Tycoon series I liked was to take a fledling RR and see how big a system you could wind up with.
Wonder if that idea would work in a MMOG?

Backyard

8) Well, you never know, I'd like to see a train3 and TRS2006 combo, several routes in Auran TRS, are documented in train3(TD3), however the interaction is not there...yet.

Mostly, anything you can learn, by book, train3, .pdf, video, whatever, is good to learn, before attempting train simulators.

Never run a route, you don't know!
Backyard/Allen

J484fan

For those on here that had problems with seeing images: select Tools, Internet options, advanced tab, then hit the reset button. I was getting a security pop-up just trying to get to Jreb's home page a while ago. After tinkering with a few other options, that was the only one that worked.

Also in regards to the mention of MSTS, I agree. The few sims I played on that there was not near enough realistic traffic levels for some. The one I had I liked best was Cajon Pass. The thing I hated worst was the royal pain it was to upload things to enhance the game, into the system. Items such as files for more realistic trees and grass etc, etc. I'm not one of those guys that is good at programming or game designing or any of that stuff. I get ticked off too darn quick with the way most of those options are set up. I'd rather share my ideas with someone who has the experience and know how, then help out where I can.

alxmoss1992

Ok guys well I have another question. Does anyone know where I could find the Louisville to Princeton(Illinois Div.) at for TD3?
Alex L. Moss

E.M. Bell

Quote from: NSFan14 on March 13, 2008, 06:03:09 PM
Ok guys well I have another question. Does anyone know where I could find the Louisville to Princeton(Illinois Div.) at for TD3?

I have never seen that one out there Alex...maybe a project for Geno to take on (hint hint)...would be almost as good as the LS...

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Backyard

8) At 38 posts, it would be good to see something come out of this thread...
Backyard/Allen

geno404

Well...I guess I could give it a shot, I'm always up for a challenge.

Problem is, I've only ever seen about the first 5 miles of the entire territory first hand, so I would need a lot of assistance with track charts, train schedules, grades, signals, local work areas...let's see, that's pretty much everything!   :D

If anyone has the materials to send me and the patience to endure a million questions, I can give it a whirl! 

Chris7092

Add me to the list of hard-core TD3 players.  I spend way more time than I need to with TD3, but oh well!   

Chris
K8CRQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk