Things that make you go...HELL NO!

Started by Wanderer, August 17, 2007, 07:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Now...most people know that I'm usually the first one in the bunch to crack on CSX's trackage. Their "Deferred Maintenance Program" is one of my favorite topics to rip to shreds. However, I must admit there is one worse company when it comes to track conditions...Guilford. Their mainlines look garbage. I particularly love the one section of District 4...10mph with 5mph slow orders!

However when I saw this on Railpics...I knew I had seen it all. And yes...that is a high cube FBOX behind the locomotive...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=197766&nseq=37

conrail6830

I'll bet that the crew is leaning to the high side to keep the locomotive from rolling over!!

Mike

Backyard

8) ...gives a new meaning to "we can deliver"..."pulling for you"..."delivering America"...

This is a testamony to the sorry state of afairs of rail transportation in the US-America...

I'd be looking for another job, before I'd hope for better trackage.

And then I think of the ICRR.
Backyard/Allen

E.M. Bell

A long lens will make almost any track look bad..mind you that is bad, but still..

When we first started the LXOH, the track had been let for many years. The Southern and the NS had done just enough to make it useable, and that was about it. The last week NS ran that branch before we took over, they turned over a load of Soda Ash in Ben Chandlers yard at Pisgah.    Low Joints, bad bridges, bad rails, soft spots, it was all part of it. We had problems, but we moved the freight...

The most important thing to remember when running on track like that is dont look back  at your train...EVER... ;)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Wanderer

Quote from: E.M. Bell on August 18, 2007, 04:51:51 PM
A long lens will make almost any track look bad..mind you that is bad, but still..

Actually...believe it or not, having been up there a handful of times, the long glass actually doesn't do it justice. The crossties are more like splinters held together with their last vestiges of creosote residue.  There is also more than a few places on that branch where there are no spikes every seven ties plates or so.

Now that is seat of your pants railroading.

Michael Knight

A look at things to come: CSX in a few years.  ;D  :P ;D ;D

LexRailfan

Quote from: E.M. Bell on August 18, 2007, 04:51:51 PM

When we first started the LXOH, the track had been let for many years. The Southern and the NS had done just enough to make it useable, and that was about it. The last week NS ran that branch before we took over, they turned over a load of Soda Ash in Ben Chandlers yard at Pisgah.    Low Joints, bad bridges, bad rails, soft spots, it was all part of it. We had problems, but we moved the freight...

The most important thing to remember when running on track like that is dont look back  at your train...EVER... ;)
Agreed. The only time I ever looked beyond the Pumpkin was when y'all had anything more interesting than the old paper boxcars scrap. Or when the load of sand tipped over.

Corman has had his work cut out for him getting that line in shape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk