Even More Proof That GEs Suck

Started by cmherndon, May 01, 2007, 09:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmherndon

These are some photos of a power assembly from a GE FDL engine which blew out an entire power assembly somewhere on the IC.  The cylinder head landed several feet (at least 30) from the tracks, while the actual piston crashed through the roof of a house near the tracks.

Photographer unknown.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

cmherndon

Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

Backyard

:o Thanks for the pics CMHerndon!
I'm no locomotive mechanic, however my heavy Diesel engine experience makes me question what type bolt that is laying on top of the power assembly.
It looks like it might have been a head bolt, however it also looks like a Grade 8 steel hex-head capscrew.
Usually the head bolts are high carbon steel, a dark metal, and have twelve sides to stand the high torque required.
But that's the type used on a EMD 16v265H four cylinder engine!
Looks like the 16:1 compression ratio won out today.
I wonder if it's from the new 12 cylinder engine.
This is something to Google about!
Backyard/Allen

nscnotp1

WOW!!! Talk about blowing a gasket.  Bet they will just replace the part and turn her loose again, until she blows another one. EMD's are still the best there is.  ;D

JCagle

Why is more proof needed. After a certian ammount of proof is present theory is accepted as law!
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

cmherndon

Quote from: BackyardI wonder if it's from the new 12 cylinder engine.

It's my understanding that it came out of one of the 2600-series Dash 9s that CN has.  Therefore the power assembly would be out of an FDL-16 block.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY

CubsFanJohn

That's GE for you all.   Or as I have said in the past STATE OF GOOD REPAIR.  Caleb knows what I am talking about.

R Federle

I could be wrong but I believe that Power assy came from an HDL. Not positive where that bolt on top the power assy came from either but it appears to be whats left of the head hold down stud (in EMD parlance that would be the Crab Stud). Not that I am defending GE but a vessel I worked on about 20 years ago had 16-567C's. I saw the aftermath of Crab Bolt failure and at 800 rpm it lobbed the entire assy (liner, head and piston crown only) 20 feet to the other side of the engine room. With over 22 years experience with EMD's though I would have to say they are the most reliable and trouble free that I know of.

Robert Federle

Hoydie17

Won't argue with the reliability of EMD propulsion on ships, that's for sure.

But dang, you just can't get the sounds of a GE LM2500 Gas Turbine at battle-override speed out of your mind. 

Ever seen a 600ft, 12,000 ton destroyer throw up a rooster-tail like a speedboat? 

Ahh the good ole days.

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

R Federle

Never had the luxury,

I have seen some tests but not with teh GE LM 2500. Bollinger Shipyard down here had built some fast patrol boats that were powered by Paxman Valenta High Speed Diesels. I think they "published" a top speed of 45 Knots. They would do more. I think they about 150 feet long by 35 feet and draft was 12 feet I believe. They would move!

I have been aboard many anchor handling vessel that pick up and set anchors for "floaters" (semi submersible drilling rigs). We would do the towing of the rig as well. Hands down the engine of choice for the power needed for this work was and still is EMD. About 10 years ago they began using the 710's replacing rthe 645's. Now the 265H engine is making a fair appearance but I have heard of alot of problems with them.

I would really like to see EMD solve their design and mechanical problems and be able to take back the #1 spot GE holds. Maybe someday.

Robert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk