Walking tour of Topton, PA in the snow

Started by dschlegel, January 02, 2014, 09:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

Took a walk tonight hoping to see a train or two in the snow but got skunked. Instead I grabbed some shots of various buildings here in town because, well because I could.
First up is a view looking southeast at the Main Street crossing towards Tony's Italian restaurant (not to be confused with Tony's Pizza).

Next we have another view looking south at Main Street. The building at the end of the block was a movie theater, I saw ET there when it was first on the big screen.

Here's a nicely decorated house on Main Street just south of the crossing.

Here's Tony's Pizza with the Mountain Dew sign, taken from the corner of Franklin and Main looking southeast.

dschlegel

Next we'll look at one of the local watering holes, the Toad Creek Pub (named after the 2'wide creek flowing through town). Taken from the corner of Home Avenue and Franklin.

From the same corner we look north and see Tony's Italian Restaurant and the Home Avenue Crossing.

The Nativity scene and stained glass at Trinity Lutheran on the corner of Home and Smith street.

More Christmas Lights on Smith Street.

dschlegel

Here's the Ray Master Post 217 American Legion. Ray Master was a local man who served in WWI as a bugler. I've been a member here since I turned 21, which is coming up on 18 years ago. Note how proud the flags are flying in the stiff wind out of the east. This was taken from near the Haas St crossing.

A closer look.

A short walk west on Center street from the Legion and we're back at Home Ave and what was the Topton station. Here's a sign my dad made for the current owners of the building, which houses the Market Cafe. It's a neat little coffee shop/deli/Hippie and Yuppie hangout. I go there despite the atmosphere because I like the food and it's an old train station.

Another view of the station looking northeast from the Home Ave crossing.

dschlegel

Back south on Home a block for a shot looking at the bank and some more Christmas lights in the window of our local cupcake and luncheonette.

Right around the corner on Franklin is Tony's Pizza again.

Back to the Main Street crossing for a look at Tony's Italian restaurant and the Home Avenue crossing.

Same spot with a shot showing Tony's and the station.

dschlegel

I hope you enjoyed the tour. I have enjoyed living here for the past 10 years and hope some of you come to visit when railfanning the Reading Line.

PA Dan

thpbears

Matt L

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk