Storm clouds over the Reading Line

Started by dschlegel, July 30, 2013, 06:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

So while taking my evening walk over the past few weeks we've had some neat skies here in Topton, PA. All of these shots are grab shots with my phone, but I think they're kind of neat.

First is a view looking north at a thunderhead that based in direction and radar at the time was about 120 miles away. The Reading Line rolls through the valley below.

Next is a view from my front yard looking east right at sunset. These clouds were part of a system that dumped 8+ inches in Philly which is south of me about 60 miles or so. The Reading Line is a block to our right behind the houses across the street.

dschlegel

Next up is a shot of the East Penn RR's SW 900 #52, which is an ex PB&NE unit that worked in the Bethlehem Steel mill. It is sitting on the Kutztown Branch which is about 3/4 of a mile west of my house along the same street.

Here's a different view at the same location.

dschlegel

A short walk south from the last shots brings you to a farmer's crossing were I took these shots looking east. My biggest gripe with the phone camera is that it doesn't capture motion well of moving freights in low light conditions. The train in the following images was a westbound, probably the 15T.

dschlegel

Finally here is the evening sky last evening looking across the valley again from the same location as my first shot. No storm clouds in this one, just nature's beauty.

I hope you guys enjoyed!
PA Dan

E.M. Bell

That first shot is about as perfect as an anvil cloud can get. Glad to see I am not the only one around here who likes shooting a good storm!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

dschlegel

Thanks EM! It was one heckuva storm from what I could tell. Here's screen shots I took of the radar that night and the compass heading from Topton.
And another shot of the anvil.

Matt L

Nice shots! I also enjoy shooting storms up here in NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk