Lucas Oil Rail Line (formerly the LNAC)

Started by Ed Fury, July 17, 2013, 09:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

Spent some time chasing the Lucas Oil Rail Line this morning.

Lucas Oil Rail Line by vampirolepis, on Flickr

There's a lot more on my Flickr. Feel free to scroll through.

E.M. Bell

The LNAC is a great little shortline, and I am glad to see they are still running trains..and still with the Alcos to boot! I was afraid that when the line was sold after the one big factory shut down, that it would not survive.  What kind of schedule to they have?

Back in the day, The GM was a good friend of mine (and is still a JREB member), and I used to go visit 2 or 3 times a year. It was always neat to get some seat time on the 44 tonner they had (The Betty Sue) and even got to run the RDC's they used on the passenger trains once....nothing like a bus without a steering wheel :) 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ed Fury

I think they run Mon, Wed, Fri. Like 7am to 11am. I don't know if that is central or eastern time. I got up to Corydon about 8:10 eastern time and could not find them anyplace. Followed all the yard tracks near the engine house. Went south of I-64 and the tracks there are storage. Went all the way to the NS exchange in Corydon jct. Finally around 9:30 eastern, I think it was, I got word they'd be coming out from behind Lucas Oil and heading up to Corydon jct. Up and back took less then two hours. They were in the engine house just a little after 11am. I was told they usually head up to Cordydon jct between 8 and 8:30am. Adjusted for central time they were right on time.

For someone like myself to have some model train LNAC boxcars and to be a "railfan" I don't know why I had never been up to Corydon before.

Beavis

Ed, thanks for sharing these pictures.  It brings back a lot of memories.  I was fortunate to ride a revenue train on the Betty Sue back in the 80's with my Dad and brothers (it was a crowded cab).  I remember the conductor had to move a large rock from the gauge that had fallen from the hillside.  We went to Corydon Jct. spotted a few cars, picked up a few and went back to downtown Corydon.  Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk