Rochester & Southern RR chase day

Started by Matt L, January 23, 2013, 08:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I had the day off from work 2 days ago. My original plan was to chase the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR and a couple of their mighty  fine Alcos. They didn't run,... so I had to find a plan B. Eventually, I settled on the Rochester & Southern RR. This was a good hunch- a local came out of the Brooks Avenue yard around mid-afternoon. It is making the approach to Behan Road.  

Power for this train was GP40 #3103, lettered for the R&S's sister shortline Buffalo & Pittesburgh RR. The EMD was leading the train across Paul Road.

Didi I mention the weather was bitter cold? Temps were in the teens and lake effect snow was flying as the train rolled by me.

All photos in this post were taken by me Monday 1/21/2013 in Chili, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The R&S local made its first stop at P&L Junction in Caledonia. This is where the two lines of the R&S meet. The former Genesee & Wyoming RR mainline heads south to my right, while the ex-B&O line in the background runs in a southwesterly direction to connect with NS about 30-40 miles away.

The Erie RR's Rochester Dibvision, the Lehigh Valley RR's mainline and the New York Central RR's Peanut Line used to pass through P&L Junction as well. Some of the Peanut  Line was removed a few years ago when the R&S realigned the tracks in Caledonia, so there used to be a diamond at this location.

After dropping off some of the consist, #3103 led the train along Route 19 in Pavilion Center. I always wanted to photograph a train along this section of the former B&O branchline... and I finally got the chance!

All photos in this post were taken by me Monday 1/21/2013 in upstate NY. All rights reserved.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The snow eased up and the sun actually came out by the time the R&S local entered the Village of Pavilion.

GP40 #3103 spots couple of cars in downtown Pavilion.

The R&S local switches at Jeffrey's Ag Service in Pavilion.

Once the cars were dropped off. the R&S crew returned to the Brooks Avenue yard as a light engine move. Number 3103 crosses State Route 19 in LeRoy on the return trip.

All photos in this post were taken by me Monday 1/21/2013 in Wyoming County, NY. All rights are reserved. I hope you have enjoyed this chase of the Rochester & Southern RR. It wasn't what I had on my agenda for the day... but the chase was very satisfying.  8)

NSMoWandS

Nice shots Matt! Here's a little pop quiz for you? Do you know why G&W locos are orange and black? Hint-it does have something to do with tigers. Dan

butch

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Matt L

Thanx, guys! It was alot of fun... albeit frigid!

Dan- I've heard the Genesee & Wyoming orange is based on the predominant color of Syracuse University, which was attended by the patriarch of the Fuller family. They own the GWI shortline  system.

I'd love to catch the big R&S road freight that runs from the Brooks Ave yard to interchange with NS at Silver Springs, but it usually runs at night. Power for that train is 3-4 GP40s.

NSMoWandS

Matt, Orange and Black is for Princeton Tigers! Good guess though. Dan

Matt L

I didn't know that. Here's a trivia question for you: which GWI subsidiary has a trio of Alcos in its locomotive fleet?

NSMoWandS

I know Ohio Central had a couple... but they are gone now. The only RR that would have oddballs that come to mind is Utah Railway, but just a guess. Dan

Matt L

The correct answer is the Wellsboro & Corning RR. They have 3 Alcos- one RS3u, one RS1 and one S2. They were on the property when the Myles family bought WCOR in 2008. They retained a 30% share of the RR (and manage it), after selling a 70% share to RailAmerica. As you may have seen, GWI bought RailAmerica recently... so a few Alcos are back in the GWI family again.

NSMoWandS

Pretty cool Matt! Thanks for the info! Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk