View from my office......

Started by dschlegel, January 09, 2013, 11:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

...... Would be sweet if there were still an active railroad there.

This is the ex Reding North Penn or Bethlehem bench ROW. The line ran basically from Bethlehem to Philadelphia. CR continued operating the RDC passenger service up until about 1983 or so, and then ceased anything from just a little north of Quakertown, PA to just south of Bethlehem. Then in about 2008 the rails were finally ripped out and now a rail trail is in the future.

This line was pretty significant in that it was an artery for Bethlehem Steel. Countless ore drags and coke trains ran this line, as did every piece of steel used for the Golden Gate Bridge. Harry Truman's 52 campaign train rolled through here too.

This is a view of how it looked this afternoon from the building I work in. ROW I believe belongs to SEPTA and there requirements to ensure if needed that the local municipalities and adjacent property owners can keep proper clearances for future trains. Who knows maybe before I retire I'll see something roll through here.

Enjoy,
Dan

Matt L

That is a nice view. CR did indeed exit the commuter business in 1983 on its road to profitability. All such operations in the Northeast were spun off to various gov't agencies that year.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk