Chasing Lightning Stripes

Started by Matt L, October 18, 2012, 07:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I spent a rather fun afternoon last week with the Finger Lakes Railway. It is part of the Empire Link, which is an innovative and successful marketing partnership Norfolk Southern uses to generate traffic in upstate NY and northern PA.

We will start by taking a look at the main yard of FGLK, where a pair of B23-7s in a classic NYC-inspired heritage scheme were assembling a train. This is the view from North Street:

This is the view from Routes 5 & 20 on the other side of the yard:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 10/12/2012 in Geneva, NY.  

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I also got a good look at some other engines in the yard. FGLK #2309 was idling and coupled to a couple of excursion coaches (which weren't moved):

The Finger Lakes Railway acquired a former Conrail B-237, #1943, from a New Hampshire shortline earlier this year. She was sitting behind the engine house and will soon be ready for service in former CR territory:

Privately owned SW9 #708 was sitting on the other side of the engine house.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 10/12/2012 in Geneva, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Most of the Finger Lakes Railway's locomotive fleet wears the NYC's lightning stripe livery. Part of the reason is because the longest route owned by FGLK is the former NYC Auburn Road.

After #2303 and #2404 assembled their train, I chased them leading road freight GS2 eastward on the Auburn Road. They pulled out of the yard and crossed North Street in Geneva (NY) during the early afternoon:

FGLK GS2 at Reed Road in Waterloo, NY:

GS2 passes an old NYC station and approaches Cayuga Street in Seneca Falls, NY:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 10/12/2012.

Matt L

I went around Auburn to avoid a couple bottle necks there. I caught  the train again at Baker Road in Sennett, NY:

My chase of GS2 ended at Gorham Road in Elbridge, NY:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 10/12/2012. I broke off the chase here because the day was getting late. I hope y'all have enjoyed this pictorial of the Finger Lakes Railway. It is a thriving shortline. Spending a day with FGLK is highly recommended for any railfan who happens to be in the region.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk