Use of Twitter as a railfan tool

Started by JCagle, March 07, 2012, 07:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCagle

Last year's Egyptian uprising showed the power of Twitter in spreading a message and relaying news. It was so powerful that the Egyptian government shut it down in an attempt to quell the uprising. I have heard several people have started using Twitter for more than sharing pictures of the kids and family dog and adopted it as a tool for getting heads up information out to the railfan community.

I have played with it a little bit and tweeted some heads up information in the past. It definitely has some advantages over the use of email lists and the like. There is no wading through pages of posts rehashing the glory days of a fallen flag, or someone wanting to share pics from their last outing.

Do any of you out there use Twitter for such purposes? If you do feel free to follow me @carolinarailfan
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

maersksealand3329

I have twitter, but never considered it.  If you feel like it, mine is @bath_wildcat.  It comes from the high school I graduated from (Bath High School, Lima, Ohio-Class of 2001) and th mascot, a wildcat.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Its My Life :-)
www.facebook.com/railfan1
Skype-michael.fair3

Ed Fury

If you have a smartphone facebook groups work well too. I can sit trackside and play on facebook all afternoon messing around in groups and when a train comes by it takes the same amount of time to type the info as sending a text message and it goes to however many people are in the group.

JCagle

That also works but picture sharing and lots of commenting leave you wading through a lot of muck.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Jreb Mobile powered by Tapatalk.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

stillbre

I finally joined up.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet or if it's better then Facebook but I'm there.  @stillbre
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk