NS/UP Heritage paper

Started by maersksealand3329, March 01, 2012, 04:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maersksealand3329

For the final paper in my Composition and English class, I have to write about the Norfolk Southern hertiage locomotives, and the Union Pacific hertiage locomotives. The propsal for the paper is below, so any and all info to help with this would be greatly appreciated. I will be contacting Andy Fletcher, as NS is using his artwork for the hertiage schemes.

Proposal

Problem: Deciding which predecessor railroads to honor for Norfolk Southern 30th Anniversary, and what paint schemes the locomotives will wear.

Solution: Reducing down the number of predecessor railroads to a manageable number, and contracting an artist to come up with renditions of the paint schemes.

Idea 1: Deciding on honoring the predecessor railroads of Norfolk Southern with a heritage fleet.

Idea 2: What does it take to make this happen, while keeping it under wraps from the public.

Idea 3: Compare and contrast Union Pacific’s heritage program from 2005 to the Norfolk Southern heritage program today.

Idea 4: Finalizing the paint schemes of the heritage fleet, while deciding on what locomotive would be best fitted for the paint schemes chosen to represent Norfolk Southern heritage.

Possible Sources:
Norfolk Southern, www.nscorp.com, copyright 2012
Trainorders, www.trainorders.com, copyright 2012 Todd Clark, Canyon Country, California
Railroad Forums.com www.railroadforums.com Copyright 2012, Bob Harbison
Union Pacific, www.up.com Copyright 2012

Working Thesis Statement:
Consider two class one railroads deciding to honor their heritage with paint schemes derived from the predecessor railroads. What would it take to get a program like this running, and what, and if, how many locomotives would wear the paint schemes to honor those railroads? In light of Norfolk Southern’s decision to honor its own past, Union Pacific honored their past with six different locomotives, while NS is honoring 18 of its past railroads that make up Norfolk Southern today. We will take a look at both the Union Pacific heritage locomotives, and Norfolk Southern heritage locomotives, while comparing and contrasting the similarities and difference these railroads have between each other.

This is for a general education class for the school I am going to for an Associates Degree in Photography.  I thought about doing this as a paper that could highlight the NS Hertiage program, and possibl compare/contrast to the UP Hertiage program.  I just need some info by Sunday that way I can at least write part of the rough draft, and reine it further into the best paper I have written in this class.  Any help with this psper would be great from the NS fans out there.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Its My Life :-)
www.facebook.com/railfan1
Skype-michael.fair3

Michael Knight

Hi, it looks like you have some well-developed brainstorming work already completed. You should check the most recent thread here on JREB for some first-hand information about NS' heritage scheme development.

Unless your instructions specifically require that you address readers directly, you should avoid using personal pronouns in your paper. Avoiding the "you" factor means not forming statements that ask the reader questions. For example, the statement, "Consider two class one railroads deciding to honor their heritage with paint schemes..." infers asking "you" (in this case, the readers of your paper) to consider something personally. Asking the questions about which schemes, details, etc., should be included in the design of a heritage fleet is also directed at the reader.

Rather than directly ask questions or use the "you" factor, word your statements as follows: "Today, several Class I railroads are actively honoring their past through the development of special heritage paint schemes for their locomotives. The employees charged with coordinating these heritage programs must consider multiple factors in the design and deployment of the commemorative schemes. Factors such as _______,__________, and ________ all must be kept in mind by managers."

Also, be sure to define your terms. Many readers will be unfamiliar with railroads, and simple terminology such as a Class I railroad must be defined to ensure clarity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk