European Steam on I-81 Chambersburg, PA

Started by WillD, November 13, 2011, 12:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillD

Yesterday morning, I saw a European style steam engine on an 18 wheeler heading north on I-81.  It had Eastern Railway on the side and below that was something else in another language.  The cylinders and drive rods were removed.

Does anyone know anything about this?  I tried googling it and got nothing.  I would have snapped some pics if I had the camera grrrr...

fireball451

My first guess was the steamer Great Smokey Mountains Railway purchased. But you said heading north, so that would be the wrong direction. I think its a Swedish engine that GSMR got. I don't know if its already at their property or not. Don't really care to keep up with that group after seeing what they have done to 722 and its current state.....

WillD

No, its not the Swiss that GSMR bought.  This one does not use a tender.  Its water tanks are beside the boiler and the coal bunker is behind the cab.  I think it was a 0-6-0, but it was not that big.  The front boiler mount had automotive style leaf spring suspension.

For reference, here is the same type:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:060loco.jpg

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

Sorry!  The pic looked like Thomas I had to lol

WillD

Actually, when I saw it, I had trouble believing it was not a display engine.  I sooo wish I had my camera.  The Strasburg RR has a full scale Thomas they pull trains with.  I think it looks cheesy. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk