can R.J. be cool?

Started by blacksheep, October 13, 2011, 09:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacksheep

i was in clarksville, tn. this morning lookin over at the R.J. tracks goin into town when i cought up with one of there old gp's pushin some cars into town. looked simple, pushin cars to switch at some plant maybe. at the other end of the train, 5 cars, was another old gp pullin. thinkin as a railroader i can see the advantage of havin power on both ends for switchin but as a rail fan i saw it as cool. both gp's were pointin long hood forward but i liked the look of a small train needin a pusher.

NSMoWandS

Yes, it is cool.
Here on the Northeast Corridor... NS will either have power at both ends... or pull out the old Conrail Caboose (Cabin Car to Pennsy fans) (Now called a shovng platform) and use it to make shoves on the N.E.C. where it would be too dangerous for the Conductor to ride on the rear car's ladder.

lwjabo

Shoving cars long distances was something the rails never thought about when they did away with the caboose. My guess is almost ever seniority distract has some place they have to shove more than a mile. I know on mine we had to shove out of the siding at Bradley so we could direct the trains south toward Cohutta. This was often 2 miles or more. Add it being dark rain and even snow could add to the danger. If I  would climb into the top of a coal car so I could see and not wear my self out. holding onto the side of a car for 20 minutes will take it out of you. In no case where it was brought up did I hear any response from the company officers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk