Action on Attica Hill

Started by Matt L, March 10, 2013, 02:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I was back at it again with NS's Southern Tier Mainline. The weather was the best I've had for chasing since last fall. After the early morning fog lifted, it was a nice sunny day and temps rose into the 40s. The roads were completely dry for a change!

My first sighting was westbound 309. The train was coming down the west side of Attica Hill.

Both photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 3/9/2013 at the East Main Street crossing in Attica, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Westbound intermodal 23K came up to CP Linden late in the morning, and parked on the siding a couple miles west of the interlocking. There were quite a few double stacks at the head end of the train, so I suspect the Mechanicville Yard is starting to have an effect on this train.

Why the wait? NS held 23K to let eastbound 13T pass. The two trains met at the Spring Road crossing/MP 389 signals.

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 3/9/2013 in the Town of Alexander, NY. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I have discovered that trying to chase anything west from the Spring Road crossing is impossible, because speed limits in Attica and the Village of Alexander are just 30 mph. (Track speed limit is 50 mph.) On the other hand, going east is no problem. It was a no brainer- chase 13T! I overtook the train and set-up on the side of Dale Road for an intercept.

Both photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 3/9/2013 in Dale, NY. I head to head back to Rochester for a band gig in mid-afternoon and ended the winter chase season on NS. It's been fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk