Signals Along The Rathole Line

Started by NSyorktown, July 20, 2013, 10:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

In late June, I asked about signal work at Kings Mountain and other areas. I was planning a trip down that way, and wondered about progress.

Here's the thread, "if" you are logged on: http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=14728.0

Anyway, my trip south was on Thursday (July 18th), as I headed to Chattanooga and then on to Atlanta for the NMRA '13 National Train Show.

The attached 4 pics show the current signal at Kings Mountain, the new structure, a southbound, and some NS MOW crews working on track #1.

NSyorktown

I drove Route #27 from Kings Mountain clear down to Harriman, TN on Thursday.

Some other scenes along the way:
1) This northbound sits by a new signal at Burnside
2) & 3) A northbound at Parkers Lake (what a beautiful setting!)
4) The new signal at Robbins, TN
5) The signal at Harriman, TN

It was a warm but enjoyable trip though central KY and TN, and a wonderful Train Show @ Atlanta on Friday.

NSyorktown

Yep, the post is right in the middle of the "old" access road.

But they already have a pretty well established path around the new signal.

I was more wondering about (a) moving the signal to the conductor's side of the cab and (b) trying to guess why a third light head was needed . . . . which could require printing new instructions in the crew manual.

NSMoWandS

Just food for thought... Wouldn't a third signal head allow a signal to be upgraded to a "limited" indication? And since FRA doesn't mandate the signal be on the engineer's side anymore... it was prob easier to put it there. Running cables, building new base, etc... DE Dan.

E.M. Bell

While not exactly standard practice for home signals, the new mast there at Kings Mountain was probably done to improve its line of sight. Coming South up the hill, the old SB signal can be hard to see at times, hidden behind the bridge piling plus the cabinet for the DED and solar panels for the greaser that are both there by the North end of the tunnel.

With the new signal being on the East side, trains should be able to see it a lot sooner without any obstructions.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk