My final chase for Summer 2011

Started by Matt L, September 20, 2011, 06:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

In what seems to be a tradition for me now, I hit the road on the final Friday of summer and drove west to Buffalo for a day that was mostly spent trackside.

My first sighting of the day was this eastbound manifest freight that approached the Tifft Street bridge in mid-morning.

Photo taken by me Friday 9/16/2011 in Buffalo, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

It was interesting to see the eastbound manifest freight, like several others I saw in July, using the western end of the ex-Erie Buffalo & Southwestern branch... instead of the adjacent ex-Nickel Plate mainline. 

Photo taken by me Friday 7/22/2011 in Buffalo, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

NS local H0A was working the yard as the manifest freight passed, so that might explain the detour on this occasion.  

Matt L

The Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR was also active in the area. This road freight rolled into Buffalo Creek Junction as the manifest freight departed.

Matt L

SD40-2 #3360 was the power for H0A. There had been rumors of NS purging ex-Conrail power from upstate NY, so this EMD was a treat.

Matt L

The old girl looks to be in pretty good shape.

Matt L

Local freight H0A drills the yard at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Matt L

The NS local and the B&P local work side by side at Buffalo Creek Junction.

Matt L

Later in the morning, I shifted to the Lake Avenue crossing... which is a few miles RR west (compass: southwest) of Buffalo Creek Junction.

NS had this MOW critter out on the former NKP, clearing brush away from the edge of the tracks.

Photo taken by me Friday 9/16/0211 in Blasdell, NY.

Matt L

The guy in the hard hat was monitoring the crossing gates, because the MOW critter was apparently tripping the signal... causing the NS and Buffalo Southern gates at Lake Avenue to lower.

Photo taken by me Friday 9/16/2011 in Blasdell, NY.

Matt L

The MOW critter would get off the tracks from time to time... a good sign a train was coming.

Matt L

An eastbound NS auto rack train approaches Lake Avenue.

Matt L

The auto racks clear the NS/Buffalo Southern diamond a few hundred feet east of the Lake Avenue crossing.

Matt L

A westbound auto rack train approaches the diamond in late morning.

Matt L

The tail end of auto racks pass by the MOW critter, which had been shut down for an apparent lunch break.

Matt L

Not the greatest shot... but it was nice to see #3360 approach the diamond while leading H0A.

Matt L

Number 3360 returns light after dropping off a string of boxcars in Hamburg, just a few miles further down the tracks.

Matt L

The SD40-2 heads up the old NKP- long hood forward in the classic N&W style.

Matt L

Another westbound manifest freight arrived during the afternoon.

Matt L

As the westbound manifest freight cleared the Lake Avenue crossing, I decided this would be my last shot here.

Matt L

My third (and final) stop for the day was at Bison Yard. I arrived to see a short train being assembled.

Photo taken by me Fri 9/16/2011 in Cheektowaga, NY.

Matt L

GP38-2 #5666 was handling the switching chores.

Matt L

Number 5666 is a regular at Bison yard. She is facing the opposite direction (short hood west) from my previous visit in July... so I suspect NS turned the Geep on the wye at the west end of the Bison Runner.

Matt L

The same westbound manifest freight I'd seen a short time earlier must've been held at Buffalo Creek Junction or on the Bison the Runner... because the train arrived at Bison Yard after I did.

Matt L

The manifest freight slowly proceeds through Bison Yard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk