SR 630 Break-in run

Started by J-Guy, June 29, 2011, 09:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Guy

Tuesday June, 29th 2011 saw 630's first road trip in the lead in many years.

Ptrainman

Nice to see steam on the main again.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Badhorse79

Why oh why cant they have a steam engine that's big enough not to have a diesel helping geez two perfectly nice locos are just sitten in Roanoke collecting dust that could pull 34 passenger cars easy.   

J-Guy

Its not about having a "Diesel helping", its protection power. In 630's break in run the GP38-3 was just along for the ride.

Even Union Pacific will place diesel protection power in a consist with 844 or 3985. Don't forget these are 100 year old steam locomotives, that while meticulously maintained are still antiques. The last thing anyone wants to happen is a failure that leaves an excursion/business train stranded blocking freight lanes and don't forget about the passengers.

Backyard

8) What are we talking...800-tons?

10 mty boxes, a GP38-3 & a passenger car...
Backyard/Allen

Badhorse79

I understand about the issue of this lil engine breaking down after 100 years of of not  having mainline service especially after just being overhauled ! I was simply giving my two cents!! Though it's a Berkshire 765 pulled 30 + cars over new river never had a diesel   let the geeps follow em if something happens there ya go  ( I also have nothing against a steam engine on the main line , dead in tow or under steam with a diesel ) 

etalcos

Quote from: Badhorse79 on June 29, 2011, 08:13:23 PM
Why oh why cant they have a steam engine that's big enough not to have a diesel helping geez two perfectly nice locos are just sitten in Roanoke collecting dust that could pull 34 passenger cars easy.   

The only "loco" in Roanoke that's worth seeing on a 34 car passenger train is that CofG SD-7 or possibly an RF&P E-8.  I can't think of anything else worth getting the camera out and the truck started for.  Did you miss the memo late last year?  This is a Southern Railway party...... 

lwjabo

Some 20 odd years ago NS ran a Steam Special out of Atlanta. The Engine had troubles and put several trains on the law. They got and engine from Rome to take it into Chattanooga. Does not take much to tie up your railroad.

Badhorse79

No didnt miss no memo,  like I said I was putting my two cents in if I didn't  want this much slack about it I would have just kept my big mouth shut ! anyway I hope they run a trip from cincy to Danville

Ptrainman

Quote from: etalcos on June 30, 2011, 03:48:01 PM
Quote from: Badhorse79 on June 29, 2011, 08:13:23 PM

The only "loco" in Roanoke that's worth seeing on a 34 car passenger train is that CofG SD-7 or possibly an RF&P E-8.  I can't think of anything else worth getting the camera out and the truck started for.  Did you miss the memo late last year?  This is a Southern Railway party...... 
Why would you say that, those are fighting words! There is nothing wrong with 611 or 1218. Many people other than Badhorse79, includeing myself, would love to see these two engines run along side the 630 and 4501.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

steveiez

There is nothing like having a protect unit in tow or a little extra power. Last fall, 30 mies south of St Louis we broke down on the Texas Eagle. Luckily a P-42 was in St Louis, pointed in the right direction with a certified pilot. In less than two hours we got moving, and not that far behind our timetable.

Amtrak needs to run multiple units on all trains...whether they need it or not.
Steve

E.M. Bell

Fellars, look at it like this....

NS is pretty much payed for everything in the restoration of 630, and are doing the same for the 4501. While the 630 project was started some time ago, and before all of this new NS steam stuff started, it was NS that came up with the cash to get it done a LOT sooner than would have been possible otherwise.  The 4501 was pretty much a basket case, with a lot of stuff wrong from years of hard service, and would (IS) costing a lot more to get back into service than the 630 did. Without NS writing those checks, neither project would be this far along, and after the previously unknown problems that have been found on the 4501 after the teardown started, it very well may have been beyond the financial abilities of TVRM alone, to get her back on the road.

Next... "back in the day" when 611 and 1218 where in service for NS, the railroad had a fully equipped shop to restore and maintain them. They had a bunch of very talented folks that turned wrenches and ran the things...as it stands today, they dont have any of that. Yes, they COULD spend the money to get the shop equipment back, and hire and pay the folks to do the work BUT..(there is always a but you know) why piss off the stock holders and cut into the bottom line when you really dont have to.

the way I see it (and I could be totally wrong), it makes a lot more sense to "contract" with TVRM, which has a well equipped shop, and a bunch of talented and professional people who can restore, operate and maintain these locomotives. TVRM gets the money they need to do what needs done (and probably enough to invest into other projects), along with Two operable locomotives, that when not in use by the NS, can be used as they see fit. NS gets the use of the locomotives, what will surely be tons of good PR, and they are spending a LOT less than it would take to build the program back up to the level it once was. NS also gets Two engines that cost a lot less to operate, maintain, and can go to a heck of a lot of other places that the big engines just wont go.

On the other hand, lets look at the museum in Roanoke. From what little I know of them, they have some good people...but NO shop that could rebuild the 611 or 1218, or a support crew that can do the work or run them. 611, while in decent shape, would still need a massive amount of work to be made operable again (mostly to meet the new FRA regs). The 1218 is a lot worse off...she has rebuilt running gear that never saw steam, but the boiler is just a shell...your talking about a lot of time and money to get her running again...and the shop, and people to do the work.

I love the 611 as much as anyone else, and would love to see her run again, but the way I look at it, why look a gift horse in the mouth. Steam is steam, big or small....and getting to see it out on the mainline again is gong to be great. Instead of pissing and moaning about the 611 and 1218 (and dont mean on JREB for the most part) , I for one am just glad that NS is going to run SOMETHING again...and being a born and bred Southern fan, the 630 and 4501 are just fine in my book!  
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Badhorse79

Okay ! I think my  "LITTLE " comment is taking away from J-Guys photos and I also want to let everyone know I have nothing against lil ol 630 I was simply sayin I don't like diesels on steam trains ( I don't really care for the reason why their on there ) it is my opinion ! So anyone here of any kind of a scheduling yet !

E.M. Bell

bad horse, look at it this way..if there is a diesel back there, it just means we gotta work a little harder to find photo angles that will hide it. :)

While I have not heard anything firm yet, there is rumor that there may be a main line trip during the TVRM 50th aniversery celebration Labor day weekend...we will have to wait and see what transpires, but I am planning on being down that way no matter what that weekend.

I have only seen one trip that has been scheduled and published so far, and that will be in the first part of November. 630 and Southern 154 (from the Three Rivers Rambler) are supposed to run a trip out of Knoxville, across the K&A line to Alcoa and Marysville TN...that should be pretty neat.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Badhorse79

Yeah I pretty anxious myself to see what and when is running!  by the way is 4501 gonna be green or black ?

csx6900

Quote from: E.M. Bell on June 30, 2011, 09:22:56 PM
I have only seen one trip that has been scheduled and published so far, and that will be in the first part of November. 630 and Southern 154 (from the Three Rivers Rambler) are supposed to run a trip out of Knoxville, across the K&A line to Alcoa and Marysville TN...that should be pretty neat.

That rocks!  I live in Maryville (no "s" ;) ), so I just have to drive 10 minutes to see this thing!  But I obviously won't, because I'm goin' all the way to Knoxville so I can chase it!  Time to start scouting out this line...

-Evan

P.S. - Can't wait to hear West End Dispatcher give a track warrant to "SOU 630!"
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Matt L

Quote from: Badhorse79 on June 30, 2011, 07:06:29 AM
Though it's a Berkshire 765 pulled 30 + cars over new river never had a diesel

That's true... but as I recall, #765 was running on a shortline. There's alot less to tie up there if the steam locomotive breaks down there when compared to a busy mainline.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

csx6900

I would like to know how NS expects to turn the train once it gets to Maryville.  The only wyes in the area are one at the ALCOA north plant and the one on CSX at Armona.  The one at the plant doesn't look to be in good condition and I thought CSX had a no steam rule, so I don't see where that leaves the train... unless they just run-around and then go tender-first back to Knoxville.

As a side note, I would personally like to see the 203 with 630 rather than the 154.  I know that 154 has SOU heritage, but I just like the way 203 looks better.  To each his own, I suppose.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Badhorse79

Quote from: Matt L on July 01, 2011, 09:54:56 PM
Quote from: Badhorse79 on June 30, 2011, 07:06:29 AM
Though it's a Berkshire 765 pulled 30 + cars over new river never had a diesel

That's true... but as I recall, #765 was running on a shortline. There's alot less to tie up there if the steam locomotive breaks down there when compared to a busy mainline.

Yeah it wasn't a busy mainline plus it was the weekend so most of the mines were closed(  I was just venting ) and pulled that card lol  but I understand why diesels are used I just don't like it ! I like pudding I like ketchup just not together

JCagle

These days finding people with experience and knowing the nuances of a steam engine is getting harder and harder. A lot of the guys that knew them backwards and forwards are leaving us.

There are tons of resources available in historic collections and the like, but nothing beats the experience.

You also have to look at the financing angle this way. Donating to a non-profit museum benefits the museum as well as NS beyond the benefit of equipment use. NS doesn't have to pay the labor and benefit package price on employees to do the work and they can consider all or part of their donations as being a corporate benefactor to a cause related to the industry. There is also a writeoff that comes with it too.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Jreb Mobile powered by Tapatalk.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

E.M. Bell

I have shot a few times on the K&A, but only around the Knoxville area. I cant say I have seen many shots of that line anywhere, but I am sure there has to be some good spots out that way.

Perhaps our resident Knoxville folks (Paul, Jacob & Charlie) can chime in, I am sure they would be much more knowledgeable than me on the area.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ponce de Leon

I think the Maryville r/t will be "push-pull," with 154 leading on the way down, and 630 back.
Ron Flanary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk