Railroad Museums... Some thoughts from Jim Wrinn's Column

Started by JCagle, May 01, 2007, 01:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCagle

While layed over at the airport I picked up the latest issue of Trains and began to thumb through it. My first stop is usually Jim Wrinn's Editor's column at the front. As is usually the case, this column made me stop and think. For those of you that havn't read the column (and the full article later in the issue) it basically asks the question is preservation enough for railroad museums, or are they missing out by providing a more personal and in depth connect with visitors.

The question is basically is stuff enough? After this question came to my mind I began to think about my own experiences at railroad museums, and the level of "bringing it to life" that was part of the experience. One advantage that railroad museums have over other types of museums is the fact that railroads are a very alive thing. There is only a certian ammount that can be done with a Civil War museum to bring it to life to the visitor, but railroads are alive and enjoying a bit of a renissance these days. To not take full advantage of that aspect would be a shame.

Many of the museums around have become basically repositories for things. Just a place to let rolling stock sit and age while it's able to be viewed (sometimes only from a distance). Just being able to see a lantern or an engine or a caboose on display is not a very personal thing. People can't connect to something that just sits there to be viewed most of the time. The one thing that is missing is the step from seeing something to understanding it. Some of the most meaningful experiences that I have had at museums were where I was allowed to get up close and personal with the exhibits. From getting to sit in the cab of 4501 and the A and the J to just explaining things to other visitors, when there was a personal connection it means much more.

I began to think about how the museums I have been to could have improved and made even more personal. While every idea isn't practical for every museum I beleive that there are some things that can be done to make it more meaningful.

Wrinn states that many people asked him if trains still ran through there in his days at the NC Transportation Museum. The museum lies maybe 900 feet off the NS main line, but the brush and vegetation has grown up to the point that you have to know where to look to see the passing trains. For years I have thought that it would be a good idea to put up a Folkston style veiwing station with scanners and the like. The up front costs would be very small compared to some of the other budget items, and would provide a place for the general public to see and learn about railroads today. My sugguestion to museums would be to make good use of their locations.

Another thought I had was don't just show me a lantern, show me how it was used  (Lanterns aren't the only thing that this could apply to). It's one thing to have equipment, but show the public how it worked and was used. Otherwise it's just a thing. If you want to teach a kid something you don't give them instructions on how to do it, you show them.

Many places I have visited could take a cue from the media revolution, and offer audio guided tours. Many people have Ipods or MP3 Players these days, and an audio guided tour could add meaning to the visit at a very low cost. Basically it would be pod casting that would be available from upload stations on the property. For those that don't have an MP3 Player they could rent them out players for just a few dollars.

These are just several ideas, but museums should try harder to connect to the public. When people enjoy going to a museum they will come back, and they will tell their friends about it. More visitors means one thing... more money. In an age where budgets are thin more visitors could cause a muesum to be more self sufficent and have greater funding.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Hoydie17

Your musings got me to thinking Jason.

It really is too bad that there ISN'T a true national rail-enthusiast organization, sort of like the National Audubon Society (the bird watchers) and National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) and the National Rifle Association.   I've toyed with the idea many times since I picked up the hobby about 4 years ago.   

The National Railway Historical Societies traditionally only deal with the preservation of what few historic pieces of equipment that are left and in my opinion have more to do with the recreation and appeasement of their membership than they EVER WILL trying to teach the public about the railroads and how integral they are in our day to day lives.  Operation LifeSaver while being a national organization, is dedicated soley to public safety around the railroad tracks, and in particular at-grade crossings.   

I realize in saying that the idea of such an organization is vastly different in concept from the NAS or NHRA.  But an organized front is probably the best thing for railfans nationwide and even worldwide to be recognized as a legitimate hobby.   Railfans now are looked upon with disdain and scorn by employees and the general public alike.  Perhaps that's for good reason, because none of them can begin to understand why we see trains the same way they see their garden, or their golf clubs, or their fishing tackle. 

Imagine this, when railroads solicit state/federal funds for corridor expansions and improvements, how nice would it be if there was a unified voice speaking as lobbyists representing our hobby?  For example, pressing government officials for viewports off of overpasses for railfan photography like they have all through Pennsylvania?   Public viewing areas near active mainlines like you have at New Rochelle, IL?   Wide shoulders near overpasses or grade crossings so you can park and not have to risk getting runover by a passing car? 

Railroads often complain about the liability of having railfans on their property pursuing their hobby, and who can blame them?  But to think that a little foresight and some relatively inexpensive preparations could help mitigate that problem.   

Generally speaking, I think most railfans would rather stay off the property anyways if they could get a view of their favorite spot without having to stare through a chain-link fence or sneaking through the bushes.   Of course you'll always have the bad apples that treat the railroad as their personal playground.  There's little that can be done about that, and just putting up no-trespassing signs clearly does nothing to actually eliminate the liability these days.   

As you touched on these museums in many cases actually sit within a reasonable distance of an active stretch of railroad?  What would be so difficult about solicting for volunteers to do a little landscaping and construction? 

Anyways, just kinda thinkin' out loud. 

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

JCagle

Sean,

Your idea to form a national orginization sounds like a realy good idea. There is a sort of missing nitch for the railfan in sponsored orginizations.

In response to the groundskeeping and construction... there has to be someone at the museum that is open to the idea in the first place. I had talked to some people at Spencer about it, but being a 99% volunteer operation everybody seems to say you need to talk to someone else. This may be the case, but it gives me the feeling that they aren't receptive to the idea.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk