NS Engineer / Conductor Question

Started by NSyorktown, February 11, 2007, 06:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

Just curious, for all the NS engineers and conductors on the Board :

When you are assigned a train out of a yard, do you have any say as to the type and orientation of the power?  For example, say you get a northbound and it needs three locomotives, can you ask for a newer unit to be placed on the head end versus two older models in the consist?  Or,  can you ask that a locomotive be turned  so that you are going either long- or short-hood forward?  How about requesting that a unit you have driven before (and didn't like!) be moved back in the consist in favor of another lead unit?

Basically, I was just wondering if you had to take the assigned train as assembled, or if crews got to pick their order of NS units?  TIA

Michael Knight

No, crews in general don't get to pick and choose their power. However, there are exceptions where a crew may request that their power be turned, or lead engine swicthed back in the consist. For example, a crew may not wish to depart with a locomotive facing long hood foward, due to visability concerns. Other instances include lead units with strong odors orginating from the toilet compartment, and swicthing out a non-airconditoned unit to trailing status- although this request can be denied.

Of course there are many obvious reasons why a crew may wish to swicth their engine consist that are not listed above, such as mechanical problems, etc. Also, at outlying locations crews may be asked pick a certain number of the available units for their train.

John D

Hi Rich... glad to see you on this board!  I knew one of these NS guys would be able to answer your question.  You all getting ready for the NMRA show in April?

John D
John D

NSyorktown

Hi John!  Yep, I'm on here . . . .

I thought I'd ask about the consists among those on this Board.  I have train after train roll by the house, with what appears to be "ancient" power on the head end and brand new power following.  If I were on an NS crew, I'd try to get the more modern locomotives right up front (and enjoy the comfort cab, etc.).

I never thought about the comment (see above) about turning the lead units so you wouldn't have to smell the lavatory.  Not an appealing scenario!

And, yes, I'm getting the CNO&TP Layout ready for April . . . we have TOP BILLING on the CID / NMRA site:  http://cid.railfan.net/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk