NS numbering system?

Started by J 484 fan, December 10, 2006, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J 484 fan

How does NS number their trains in regards to manifest, intermodals, general merchandise etc. Also how do you know by those numbers where a train is coming from and where it is going? Is there a website that gives this info?
I know TheBullsheet.com shows for CSX but no NS unless I overlooked it.

Michael Knight

Some basic, rough information to get you started:

100 & 300, and numeric alpha symbols beginning with a one or three: mainfest

200, and numeric alpha sybols beginning with a two: intermodal

400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 (including most numeric alpha symbols): coal

Numeric alpha symbols, 40X & 50X series: grain

Numeric alpha symbols, 6XX series: woodchips, steel, minerals, etc.

Locals are assigned with a letter prefix indicating the division; yard assignments are designated in a similar fashion.

As I stated above, this is just some rough information off the top of my head. Perhaps someone with more time, than I have, can explain this in further detail.

J 484 fan

ok then I'm a bit confused what's with say 13N forPort Wilmington, DE Chicago IL Multilevel TU-SUor
20A St Louis, MO Harrisburg, PA Intermodel MO-FR

Another site I go to I met a guy who is a conductor I wanted to do a sim for TD3 though now I discovered Freight Yard Manager and they have a map for Elkhart almost done. I'm hoping to get YM for it as I only live 15 miles from there. He gave me some train numbers and I am trying to make sense of them so I can properly designate the trains.

ssw9662

QuoteAlso how do you know by those numbers where a train is coming from and where it is going?

There are several sites out there  that say where certain trains originate and terminate. This is a good site for NS symbols, and while it is somewhat older, has a pretty accurate list of trains.

http://www.railfanswelcome.com/TrainSymbols.htm

Quote from: J 484 fan on December 10, 2006, 07:53:34 PM
ok then I'm a bit confused what's with say 13N forPort Wilmington, DE Chicago IL Multilevel TU-SUor
20A St Louis, MO Harrisburg, PA Intermodel MO-FR

If you're asking about the letters, those are just for more possible symbol combinations (up to 360 combinations for instead of 100) . Mostly the letters A, E, G, J, K, M, N, Q, R, T, V, W, and Z are used for symbols from what I've seen.

Also, extra versions of 100 series trains have M prefixes, (i.e. 15T=M5T,  111=M11) while 200 series extras have I perfixes, and W is used for 300 series trains.

J 484 fan

ssw9662 Thanks for the link to TrainSymbols.htm has been very helpful.

An interesting  note on TrainSymbols is that the guy who does that site said something of a rumor about NS going to a 3 letter series like CR used to indicate origin and destination. Wonder if there has been an offical decision on that yet?

Michael Knight

In addition to each three of four digit/letter symbol, the crew district code followed by the train's date are also included as part of the symbol. On a interesting note, NS's official name for a train symbol is "unique number."

Each series has additional alpha- numeric symbols used primarily to indicate an extra train.

M for 1XX series

I for 2XX series

W for 3XX series

X f0r 4XX series

Y for 5XX series

S for 8XX series

Q for 7XX series

I can't remember the letter used for 6XX series, or any others at this moment.

It's been said, for a few years now, that NS may be converting to orgin-destination alpha type symbols. One such reason I heard for the status quo is the fact that the NS computer system couldn't handle the proposed symbols.

E.M. Bell

any second sections of trains starting with a "6" will use the letter "Z", ie.. second 61a is Z1A
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Quote from: E.M. Bell on December 11, 2006, 08:11:16 PM
any second sections of trains starting with a "6" will use the letter "Z", ie.. second 61a is Z1A

Thanks  E.M., that's what I was thinking.  I wasn't for sure as I don't think I've ever heard a Z train operate in my area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk