A N&W Veteran on the NS Louisvlle District

Started by E.M. Bell, June 22, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Last Wednesday afternoon, I managed to get a early quit at work, and just happened to have my camera with me when I found out that NS train 289 had a former N&W SD40-2 leading.  It was HOT, sorta cloudy but I could not pass up that old N&W veteran! 

My first shot was at Lawrenceburg, Ky and then on West to Waddy where the sun decided to (sorta) cooperate with me.  The 6159 still carries a N&W RS5T horn,and it was a treat to hear that 645 screaming up the hills while that classic old horn cleared the way....took my back about 30 years or so!  A SD40-2 on the NS that has not been fitted with the new style cab (I call them bastard cabs) is getting hard to find....One with "The horn of the gods" , almost imposable. 

Here are a few samples of what I shot.  You can find the entire set in my NS Louisville District gallery at this link.  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsls15

06/17/15 

NS 289 comes through downtown Lawrenceburg, KY  with a SD40-2 leader, that N&W RS5T horn echoing off the courthouse and then the 125 year old RR hotel there in the background

Under an angry sky,the sound of a EMD in #8 was drowning out the ugly orange GE behind it as NS train 289 clawed its way up the hill at East Waddy, Ky . A freshly painted former N&W SD40-2 with a decent sounding RS5T horn...dont get much better than that (for diesels anyway!

NS 6159, a former N&W SD40-2 that has mercifully escaped the indignity of the ugly new "Bastard Cab" program, leads train 289 over the crest of the hill at Waddy, Ky
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk