Radios in KY

Started by Ptrainman, November 22, 2011, 01:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptrainman

This may be a dumb question but here it goes> I stumbled across an article that says it is illegal to have a radio in your car without a HAM license. I have some new found family that lives in KY and may be going that way soon. It will also give a base of operation for chasing the 2012 Derby OCS. What license do I need to get around this pesky law?

Thanks,
Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

E.M. Bell

Short answer, YES, it is illegal to have a radio in a vehicle (scanner) that is capable of receiving public service channels in the state of KY. The only legal ways of getting around that is being a public service official, a member of the media, or being a licensed ham radio operator.

I know a lot of folks who have gotten a ham ticket just to be able to have a scanner in a vehicle, but that seems like a waste to me. I would encourage you to pursue getting a ham license, as there is so much more you can do with it...its a great hobby, and goes hand in hand with railroading.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ptrainman

Well I had thought about getting one before, but found on reason for it. This does apply to listening to the railroad right? Also does it apply to being trackside? What is required to get a ham license and what level would you need? What level is required to transmit in the 144-147 band?

Paul
KK4KQX

cmherndon

Quote from: Ptrainman on November 22, 2011, 02:18:19 PM
Well I had thought about getting one before, but found on reason for it. This does apply to listening to the railroad right? Also does it apply to being trackside? What is required to get a ham license and what level would you need? What level is required to transmit in the 144-147 band?

While having the scanner in your vehicle is illegal, I would guess that most police officers don't enforce the law very heavily.  I've been questioned by the police several times over the past 10 years and never got my scanner/radio confiscated, and I've only been a licensed ham operator since May.

To get a ham license, you will need to pass the 35 question Technician exam.  The questions basically cover radio theory, operating procedures, and electrical safety.  To transmit  in the 144-147 MHz (2 meter) band, you will only need the Technician license.  The tech license allows you transmit on the ham bands from 50 MHz and up.  For anything lower than that, you will need to upgrade to General or Extra.

If you're serious about getting your license, check out qrz.com or eham.net.  Both sites have practice tests that you can work on before you take the real test.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

Ptrainman

I will look into the license thing more now that I know this. As I said before I had thought about it before, but never had any use for it. There are no other railfans around here and I dont know if there are any hams in this area. Do alot of railfans/hams use talk to each other while out railfanning?

Paul
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk