North Danville Yard Throat

Started by doug8694, January 22, 2010, 11:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug8694

Folks....
 I am planning on modeling the north Danville yard throat, and I was wondering a couple of things. I'm going to have to bend the yard throat around a curve, and conventional wisdom says that mainline curves should be superelevated. However, since this trackage is (I'm guessing) within yard limits, in the middle of a town, and will never be traveled at a high rate of speed, wouldn't it be ok to just keep the tracks flat?
 Also, when the mainline refueling from the tankers takes place, does it occur from both sides of the main, and do they have to go over tracks to get to the side of the locomotive?
Thankd,
Doug/Dyer, IN

E.M. Bell

IF your talking about Danville KY, then a Curve at the North end of the yard would be correct.  Going North out of the yard, the tracks make a right hand curve just past the block at DV tower.  The Mainlines also "split" here and are a small distance apart up to the signals at MP 115.

When trains are fueled at Perryville Street (North end of the yard) the trucks are on the West Side of the South main, and the East side of the North Main, with no hoses across the tracks. 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

gmhaze

Tracks are superelevated as a function of desired speed and curve angle.  A given curve will have more elevation as higher speed is desired, etc, so your modeling the throat tracks as flat will be prototypical.

doug8694

Mr. Bell, I'm glad you brought up the mainlines to the north of the yard. Do you (or anyone else who may have info) know why they split the way they do? Would you happen to have a rough idea of how far apart they get? Also, in some of the photos I've seen, it seems that the North main starts to get higher for some reason. If this is the case, do you know why?
Thanks,
Doug/Dyer, IN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk