Main Menu

C40-9s

Started by Ladderpipe, April 17, 2013, 12:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladderpipe

Here is a pair of -9s I have been working on recently. The C40-9 is my favorite GE out of the -7, -8 & -9 era

Ladderpipe

Some different angles

Ladderpipe

Ladderpipe

The only heartburn I have with these builds is the fact that you need an Atlas shell at $30, when you only need 1/3rd of it. I wish someone would develop a line of GE detail parts. For some reason, GE is largely overlooked by aftermarket / detail parts manufactures but you can build an EMD from the frame rails up.

chipallen16

I love those models. You're doing a wonderful job on them (and everything else). I really do wish individual parts were still available to kitbash and scratchbuild. And I'm sure GE is overlooked because the bandwagon says that "EMD is better." I like both, though I'm going to take a GE over an EMD in a contest. However, in a model railroad, I'm going to model what I realistically see.

Again, great job!
-Chip  :)

Ladderpipe

Thank you. I have really enjoyed building these. As i have said on the Norfolk Southern Model Railroading page on Facebook, it almost seems like they are too easy. HAHA

Here is another photo of some progress i made today:

NSMoWandS

Nice! With an engine house in the background... you could make a little scene with the two units primered. It would be like the ones NS assembled and are waiting for the paint shop to paint them! Dan

dschlegel

Very cool! I think I agree that these are better looking GE's than the rest of the era. Great work!
Other Dan

Ladderpipe

Ladderpipe

The first -9 (to be #8853) is done and ready for the paint shop. I am very happy with how it has turned out so far.

NSMoWandS

Nice! Question... will you paint the whole thing black and come back and paint the A/C unit white... or is it not attached yet? Just curious how others build and paint things. Dan

Ladderpipe

Very valid question. This -9 will have a white unibrow since its going into the Horsehead scheme. The brow is painted and masked. The A/C unit is painted separately and applied after the loco gets it black body color. Since I don't like gluing painted surfaces together, I put little tabs under the A/C that will go thru holes drilled in the cab roof. This will allow me to glue the tabs from inside the cab

NSMoWandS

Thanks for the info... always smart to not glue things until the last possible step. Dan

Ladderpipe

NSMoWandS

Coming along nicely! Dan

Ladderpipe

Some more progress on one of the two -9s

dschlegel

Wow, looking great!
Dan

chipallen16

That looks better than some of the real ones... great job!

-Chip  :)

NSMoWandS

Needs some rust, faded paint, soot, a big old scorch mark across the long hood to look like the ones I have seen! LOL! Seriously though... Great job! Dan

thpbears

It does look really nice.

Ladderpipe

Thanks fellas. This will remain slightly clean but # 2 will be in the older "looks like it went thru a sand blaster" scheme, following Badhorse's example. Here is an updated photo of a bit more work that has been done (handrails, window frames, MU cables/connections, etc. painted)

Ladderpipe

And I have a kinda neat lineup 3 here, basically showing the start, middle and finsihed -9. Im not entirely sure what I'm goin to do with the un-touched -9 but it will be taking a back seat for a while after the two C40-9s are done for other projects.

Badhorse79

Yeah man I'm jealous .... You did a hell of a job . Glad ya shared this cause you sure lit a fire for me  ;D

Ladderpipe

Badhorse79

Now that's a TOPhat !!! Or to phat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk