calculating and modeling grade

Started by Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR, November 08, 2010, 12:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I was wondering what's a good method for calculating actual grade to scale grade? HO scale to be exact, if that matters. Is this worthwhile to attempt?  I'm trying for the old pennsy grade in Madison IN of 5.89%, not sure how this would translates to model form or the space needed to accomplish this. I know people use grades and humps on their layouts, some of my old ones included, but this seems a little different to me, and my old layouts had little of my own handy work involved. Any suggestions? Advice?
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

Yeah I wondered about that myself, I may just make a model of the grade for looks, non operational. I also thought about a slight up grade around the layout and then only run down the grade, but I'm like you the more I think about it it's probably too much to ask except maybe the "for looks " version I mentioned. That may be my only option huh?
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

High Speed Kurt

My dad wanted to model the Huey P long bridge to a second level. His grade is actually 7%  :o The only issue that really comes up are on about 18 car or more trains when trains are descending you get a little bit of slippage with the engines. Going up isnt a problem, once in a blue moon we will underpower a train (usually 2 powered anythings will get about 15 cars up with no issue at all) ocasionally 18 to 20 cars will be going to the west bank, and the train will be a little underpowered, and we will need helpers (which happens in real life occasionally)

paulford

Hi guys,

I'm new to the group, and was reading you was wondering about grade for HO. I am a N scale modeler, and I found a nice little program that has given me a lot of help. Here is a link to the software: http://www.stanstrains.com/SoftwareHandyConverter.htm

I hope this helps. Didn't mean to but in.....  ;)
"Type to you a little further down the track"..
Paul Ford
W8PCF HD
May You Always Have Love 2 Share,
Health 2 Spare,
and Friends that Care.
http://www.youtube.com/user/W8PCF

Badhorse79

Don't feel ya butt that's good info feel free to share anytime it's good to get the model section up and about

tarnett

Grade % is grade % regardless of scale or actual conditions.  Hence, there is no converting from a real scenario to a particular scale. See table 4 at the enclosed link:

http://www.awrr.com/scalecharts.html

Regards,

Todd Arnett             

NSMoWandS

For every foot of elevation over 100 feet equals a 1% grade. For HO scale you would just use the fact that HO scale is 1/87th of the real thing. Do some math... and you have your answers. And grade % is the same in HO, N, O, and 1 to 1 scale.

tarnett

No division is required for the particular modeling scale. If you lay 100' of HO (or O or N) scale track with the beginning as point A at an elevation of 0.00' and 100' later at point B the elevation is 1.00' you still have a 1% grade. The same formula applies to all scales and, for that matter, the prototype as well.

Regards,

Todd Arnett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk