Antiques railroad show

Started by Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR, June 11, 2010, 02:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I recently got a few things handed down to me from my great grandfather who passed away a couple years back.  He was a diesel mechanic on farm tractors in and around Lawrenceburg Ky for his career before becoming a full time farmer.  Among the oddities I was handed, one immediately stood out to me.  It's a leatherbound book put out by the Pennsylavania RR in association with EMD. It is a passenger locomotive owner's guide\ user's guide type book.  It has numerous fold outs of complete schematics from E units and E b units.  I've never seen anything like this book and cant find anything remotely similar to it online anywhere.  It was released in 1945, and I have no idea when he got it or why he even needed it.  It isnt for sale or anything but what would something like this be worth? And how rare are these?   I know it at least must have pretty good historical value if nothing else.  Your opinions???...
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

and finally more...the next to last pic is a giant fold out of a full wiring diagram, this thing has every kind of diagram you can think of in it, steam generator, electrical, plumbing, mechanical...any input will be greatly welcomed.  ;D

mbgphoto79

Great find, I don't know much about value on something like this but it is quite rare.  My mother deals antiques and she does a little with RR stuff, I have not seen anything like it amongst her items.  Looks to be in decent shape, I'm sure there are more than a few hardcore Pennsy fans on ebay that would be glad to make a bid...

E.M. Bell

EMD operators manuals are not as rare as you might think, although I have seen VERY few that where specific to just one railroad. Pennsy must have had a lot of extra stuff on there, and a book for just them was done to cover it..

I have a tone of those old books, EMD, ALco, FM and even a few GE's...always interesting reading. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Backyard

8) This collection has nothing to do with the "generic" EMD operators manual...

A notable, unwritten upon Pennsy ops manual starts at least $100 bid.

Thanks so much for not saving this like the "holy-grail" & keeping it until you pass!  No one but you & other historical artefactual collectors have the interest this may attract.

You have probably held this & read it one-hundred million times & it's time to let others enjoy this.

You need to covey around Pennsy freaks & tease it until you drop, buy a ticket on Amtrak & don't forget your camera!

Museums can't pay you what this is really worth, so go for the $ until your satisfied.

You can possibly trade it at a historical or even NMRA train collectors meet, but find the dude that satisfies your liking, then at a suitable price, pass it on.

Thank you for offering this to share with like minded individuals, as it may answer a need somewhere!

As stated. there are a lot of EMD ops manuals on these subjects, but a printed Pennsy manual is a work of art that should gather much interest in the proper venue.

Thanks ole'timer, for your generosity!
Backyard/Allen

K. Hill

Adam, If you go to page 2 in the fourth picture, it says this manual is for loco # 5900-5901. Loco 5901 still exists and is in the Railroad museum of Pennsylvania. Here is a link to it. See what you think. The info matches up.           http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/roster/e7.shtml

You know I never noticed that til you said that, but thats exactly what it was for.  They were the first two diesel passenger engines for the PRR, at least emd ones anyway.  How neat is that!! that thing was even on a album cover for alan jackson.  I sent them a email with these same pictures, I cant wait to see what they say about them.  Thanks for noticing that, I've really been scratching my head trying to figure out some info on this book, even the guys on the PRR discussion forum had never heard of this book.

K. Hill

I have been to the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum and it is a really huge and cool place. No admission fee last time I was there. Now you have to figure out how your great-grandfather ended up with the manual.

yeah I've worked on that a little but nobody knew he even had this book until he was gone, so its proven to be tough.  One mystery at a time I guess, at least you figured out the first part for me. ;D

Backyard

8) Did he sign the actual book?
Backyard/Allen

K. Hill

Adam,  You will have to keep us informed of what the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum has to say about that manual. It will be an interesting story..

well looking back now I realize I failed to mention it was the 5901 in alan jacksons photo, not my book, sometimes I get carried away typing ;D  that wouldve been extra neat!!!!!! I've emailed some questions about the book to them and am awaiting any possible answers, Bradley Smith the museums curator really loved the photos and I didnt think by his words that he'd ever run across one before, but I couldnt be sure.  He was real quick about responding to the first email so we will see.....

Well I finally got a second email from the curator of the Pennsy museum, this was his reply:
Dear Adam,

I apologize for my slow reply. 

We have many, many manuals related to general classes.... E44, GP30, SD 40, U23b, etc, etc, and many with the PRR, NYC and other logos.   

However, what is unique about your manual is the fact that it is specifically for the first two Pennsy passenger diesels, 5900 and 5901, and from 1945.  We have one identical issue from 1945, and I believe two printed in 1946 for these two engines, so there are others around, but not many.   

Thanks again for sharing.

Brad

Bradley K. Smith

Curator Supervisor

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania

P.O. Box 15

Strasburg, PA 17579

: so evidentally one other original copy exists with two others printed a year later, I'm not a big book collector by any stretch but I would say with those numbers that would make it even more rare than I thought.  Thanks for all your help finding out a few answers to this mystery for me.  I wouldve never noticed the things you guys found.

E.M. Bell

Now that you know what you have, I would find a way to keep it preserved and not let go of it. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk