Chinese loco in Chattanooga?

Started by frettfull, January 11, 2008, 11:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frettfull

I saw the pic of the Chinese steamer in Alabama, train 170, due in Chattanooga about 10pm. What route will it take out of there, and when is it called to leave? Or is already gone?

alxmoss1992

Quote from: Nightlight on January 11, 2008, 11:14:55 PM
I saw the pic of the Chinese steamer in Alabama, train 170, due in Chattanooga about 10pm. What route will it take out of there, and when is it called to leave? Or is already gone?
Is this steamer RJ Cormans 2-10-2? If so then I think I may no what im gonna try to hunt down tommorow.
Alex L. Moss

frettfull

warpath42

Where did you see the loco picture?  I'd love to see it.

Michael Knight

The Chinese steam engine is in Chattanooga, Tenn. right now.

swalker

Anyone know when it will head North on the CNO&TP   ?????    ??? ???
Has it been a High And Wide Special move or on a regular train ????? ???
Train Number ????? ??? ???
Thanks
Long Time Rail Fan   SR     NS                               Live near East end of  "Coal Chute " 
US Navy 1973-1977    USS Durham LKA-114
Operation Eagle Pull   Operation Frequent Wind
RVN 1975

alxmoss1992

Quote from: swalker on January 12, 2008, 07:33:59 PM
Anyone know when it will head North on the CNO&TP   ?????    ??? ???
Has it been a High And Wide Special move or on a regular train ????? ???
Train Number ????? ??? ???
Thanks
Will it stay on NS 170?
Alex L. Moss

swinstandley

FYI - RJCC QJ Class #7040 scheduled to depart Chattanooga tonight on NS train
#144 northbound. Expect arrival in Lexington on Sunday morning January 13, 2008
around 9:00 AM or so, but could be earlier or later. As always, this is subject
to change at any time depending on the railroad and operating conditions.

swinstandley

NS train north called out of Danville at 09:20 AM Sunday with QJ 7040 in
tow. Engine should be set out at the NS/RJCC connector (under W. Main) that the Brown  coal
train uses

E.M. Bell

FWIW, that was sat off about 1000 this morning at the Connection. Im sure RJ has it safely tucked away in his container box engine house by now. 

I dont really see what all the hub bub is over this thing. All of our good American jobs have went to China (and other places), you cant hardly buy anything anymore that is not made over there, and then Corman goes and gets one of those ugly QJ's from over there. Kinda sad really...plenty of Steam engines that would have been suitable right here in the good ol USA, with good US steam men that could have done the work on them but he wants to support a communist nation instead.  Thats says a lot for RJC in my own opinion.

Glad that thing is off the NS for we dont have to hear anything further about it here. Im sure the KY railfan list and the RJC list will be even more alive than usual with all the folks ready to cream their jeans over the "QJ"  and any other information can be found there. 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

TB4JY

Quote from: E.M. Bell on January 13, 2008, 06:06:44 PM
FWIW, that was sat off about 1000 this morning at the Connection. Im sure RJ has it safely tucked away in his container box engine house by now. 

I dont really see what all the hub bub is over this thing. All of our good American jobs have went to China (and other places), you cant hardly buy anything anymore that is not made over there, and then Corman goes and gets one of those ugly QJ's from over there. Kinda sad really...plenty of Steam engines that would have been suitable right here in the good ol USA, with good US steam men that could have done the work on them but he wants to support a communist nation instead.  Thats says a lot for RJC in my own opinion.

Glad that thing is off the NS for we dont have to hear anything further about it here. Im sure the KY railfan list and the RJC list will be even more alive than usual with all the folks ready to cream their jeans over the "QJ"  and any other information can be found there. 

That's funny.  Don't forget about the lead paint! ;D

Hoydie17

Funniest thing about this is GE is sending some of it's latest technological creations to China, and we're buying all their nostalgic shit, and I do mean SHIT.   The Chinese were selling the things for a reason, because they were old, worn out, and all but worthless, but great "Americans" like RJ Corman felt the need to patronize a nation which breeds communism. 

Steamtown has all sorts of locomotives that they would have JUMPED at the opportunity to sell to RJ Corman to have restored, and probably at a better price.  But being a penny pinching corporate, narcissitic, slug, we should have known RJC would just go the cheapest route and not the patriotic one.

Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

jcmark4501

The QJ is as American as an SD70ACe.

K8DTI

I swear, someone could give some of you guys winning lottery tickets and you'd complain that they didn't give you cash up front instead.  This Chinese xenophobia is absurd.

Hoydie17

Quote from: K8DTI on January 13, 2008, 09:57:47 PM
This Chinese xenophobia is absurd.

I bet that's exactly what all those now out of a job factory workers are thinking too. . .
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

JCagle

Quote from: K8DTI on January 13, 2008, 09:57:47 PM
I swear, someone could give some of you guys winning lottery tickets and you'd complain that they didn't give you cash up front instead.  This Chinese xenophobia is absurd.

I don't think it's as much xenophobia as much as it's the fact that there are tons of those things in China, and the number of American steam engines that are in a condition that could be restored continues to wane every year. It's harder to become enamored by something that has a history that you are not aware of, and couldn't even pronounce the name of the railroad it was used on. There are many of us that go to museums and other repositories of rail history and see engines that would have great potential for restoration but their owners don't have the cash to finance the restoration to make a profit off of these engines. It's just a shame to see these engines deteriorate every year while engines are imported because of a lower up front cost. In the end who wants to see something that they have no attachment to or sense of history of?

In my opinion it's not xenophobic to have national pride. After all can you break it down to exactly what an American looks like. We're the melting pot, so American is not a color, it's more of an ideal. Sadly people have begun to value a little bit of cost saving over supporting our industries, and now we are paying for it with all the problems due to the imports (lead content ect). I remember a day when Wal-Mart was proud to sell American made things, and now they are a driving force in the industrial growth of China.  Perhaps the railroad will learn the Wal-Mart lesson.... if you buy something made abroad and cheaply to be sold cheaply, then don't be surprised when there are problems.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

stillbre

I agree with the sentiments that these things should've been left in China.  I don't think they're that good looking.  Granted, they are still steam but there's hundreds of deserving American-made steam engines out there.  RJC could've taken his pick of about anything sitting in Roanoke or Steamtown and it would've been better than these things.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

Knothead

Every picture of a Corman train engine I have seen has been painted bright Red.  Red, Chinese,  connection?  We all love a good conspiracy theory.   I have to agree that the choice was in bad taste for an American company. Just think what good PR they would get if the right member of the press got wind  of the story! 

I wonder if they will repaint it. I can see it now. Bright Red Steamer in the horrendous red paint, and a big round banner on the front with a picture of the owner, just like the Chinese did with  their Communist chairman ! 

JCagle

I doubt there's a conspiracy theory, but they should check that thing for lead paint! Why not paint it red since it will look like a circus train anyway by the time they get through with it.

K8DTI

I bet that's exactly what all those now out of a job factory workers are thinking too. . .
[/quote]

You don't have to leave this country to find those responsible.  Why don't you blame them instead.

Backyard

8) Re: Chinese loco in Chattanooga?....Yes, and there's that Yellow Jacket #576 sitting in Nashville, dying of neglect
Backyard/Allen

jcmark4501

Why doesn't it bother anyone when rail traffic increases because America is shipping more goods in from China, Canada and Mexico? NAFTA is responsible for the biggest rail traffic increase since WW2. Our trade with China has increased intermodal traffic by leaps and bounds. Trade is what keeps our railroads running.

Also, the QJ does have its place in history. They were the last mainline steam locomotives produced and operated in the world. Thats pretty significant and when you tell Joe Schmo on the street that the locomotive was built in 1986 and last operated in 2005 they are pretty impressed.

Here is my last food for thought. I do agree there are plenty of American locomotives that could make great canidates for restoration but, they are either too big (611 and 1218), owned by museums (1522) or years and years away from operation (2716). Just because there is a locomotive in a park doesn't mean its a great canidate for restoration. Look at what has happened with the 1361. Chances are if there is a locomotive at Steamtown that isn't running or being restored, it's probably not the best canidate for restoration. Besides, if you are upset now, how upset would you be if RJ Corman restored 2716 and painted it red and silver and put his name on the side?

Who knows, this could be the start of another Ohio Central.

jcmark4501

Quote from: Backyard on January 13, 2008, 11:41:40 PM
8) Re: Chinese loco in Chattanooga?....Yes, and there's that Yellow Jacket #576 sitting in Nashville, dying of neglect

How do you know its not a dead engine already? Until an ultrasound is done on the boiler, there is no telling if that locomotive could run again. Chances are you would have to spend several hundred thousand dollars just to find out if she is worth restoring and after that you have to find a place to run a large locomotive like that.

JCagle

You could also just plan on replacing it and save the cost of having to prove it. The cost of a new boiler wouldn't be as expensive if you didn't have to spend the money on an ultrasound. I would think an experienced consultant could have a fairly good idea if it would be worth jumping into without having to test it, so it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to tell if it was worth restoring or not before you had to pay the cost for ultrasounding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk