Scanner Question

Started by R Federle, June 10, 2007, 11:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Federle

Evening all,

I saw the post titled "I Finally Got A Scanner" and E.M. Bells' post about scanner traffic tonight and now I have questions.

I have an old Bearcat scanner that my Dad had and is best suited for the house. I would like to get something portable that can be used in the vehicle and have enough reception to pick up from a reasonable distance. It also will need to be programmable as I live in Louisiana and will use it there and in the Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana areas. Someone suggested I get into HAM but I dont know about that.

I would like to see what the group may suggest and decide after some input.

Thank you all and have a great night.

Robert Federle

Hoydie17

Check your local laws, but this question really boils down to how much money you're willing to spend.

You can spend about 100 bucks and get like a Radio Shack PRO-97 with a Diamond RC77CA antenna (sold separately on different site) and it will give you decent performance. 

Further up, 200+ will land you the VX-170 which is very compact, but a very good scanner for the price.

You can take the route many of us take and get your Amateur Radio License (HAM Ticket) which is free and then get a portable 2 meter rig which enables 2 way communications, not with the railroad of course.  At least not legally.  LOL

When you get into the HAM radio world, things get alot more expensive, but you will enjoy the flexibility that it brings, plus it pre-empts individual state scanner laws and can usually keep you out of hot water if you're approached by law enforcement.

Just a few thoughts,

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

R Federle

Thanks Sean,

I've heard some about the VX-170. That seems to be a popular model from what I've heard the past year or so.

I also have entertained the HAM idea. How would I go about getting the radio license? Could you give m,e an idea of what the basic HAM equipment would cost (ballpark estimate)?

I had not thought of the local law issue but you have a point. Especially with the "Homeland Security" stuff these days. Since I would be using it in multiple states that may very well be a problem.

I appreciate your input Sean.

Robert

Hoydie17

Rob,

Getting the license is pretty easy, I'm not sure where the amateur radio club is in your area, but you should be able to locate them from here:  http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=amateur

Keep in mind, there is no FCC requirement to MONITOR the various amateur bands, however, you would still fall under the jurisdiction of various state scanner laws, and if you have the license, it gives you the ability to talk to people if you should be inclined to do so.  And having your HAM ticket no longer leaves you subject to individual state laws, at least to a certain extent. 

To get your "Technician" License, you need to pass a 50-question multiple-guess examination.   Technician is more than adequate for all the bands you'd want to work with, the railroads operate in VHF otherwise known to HAMS as "2-meter".  The license is good for 10 years from the date of issue, and as far as I know it's free to renew at the 10 year expiration. 

The test is built from a bank of several hundred questions used by the FCC, the questions and their corresponding answers are always worded same from test to test.  The only changes will be the order in which the questions appear, and what specific questions appear.   And depending on the VE (Volunteer Examiner) you could take the test multiple times in a day until you pass, assuming the VE is accommodating. 

Visit http://www.qrz.com   there are online practice examinations there for all the operator classes, and you can repeatedly take the test to help commit the answers to memory.     That's how I did it, I never purchased a single book, and spent 3 days over the course of a weekend just doing the practice exam, and passed the test first time up.   It's really easy.

Equipment, this becomes a preference, it's as expensive as you want to make it, but a say a portable 2-meter transceiver would probably start around the $300 mark for a low-end variety, and you can get upwards of $1000 for some portables.   Mobiles for your vehicle can start anywhere from 300 to 500, and get as high as $1500 depending on features you want.   Base stations get pretty pricey, but if you're using this specifically for listening to RR frequencies, you'd never need a base station, as it would just be overkill. 

Plus you can always shop EBAY for old police/railroad radios and generally the sellers will program the radio for you if you ask, or can refer you to someone who can program. 

If you choose to by Motorola equipment, I'd suggest looking at a Spectra ASTRO, which has a digital capability, and will be capable of receiving the narrow-band channels that the railroads are scheduled to switch to in the coming years.   The AAR channels are going to be changing from .150 increments to .075 increments, but the exact year escapes me now.   Be forewarned, the ASTRO is an outstanding radio, but it comes at a high price, brand new from the factory is probably $2000.  BUT you can find them on Ebay for considerably less, but make sure you do your homework before buying, a visit to www.batlabs.com (MOTOROLA ONLY!!!)  would be highly encouraged.  They have discussion forums there where you can ask several very knowledgable people about the various products offered by Motorola, and more likely someone will be selling something useful. 

Many analog scanners currently being marketed will become useless in the railfanning world due to this "narrowbanding" where HAM radios and digital scanners will still suit the purpose. 

Hope this helps,

Sean

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

R Federle

Thanks again Sean,

The licensing should be no problem. I just didn't know where to go and what it comprised. I do know the FCC Radiotelephony License our Captains have to obtain is similar. I believe they are good for 5 years and and cost $100. to get and renew.

I appreciate the links and will check those out. I feel confident I can pass the tests, as long as I can sample and get a feel for what they contain.

Equipment. The Yaesu VX-170, what is that considered to be? HAM? R and L Electronis in Hamilton Ohio has these for around $120.

Robert

Hoydie17

The VX-170 is just a basic run of the mill VHF scanner. 

Yaesu does make HAM equipment however, and I've not heard a whole lot of bad stuff about their gear.

The VX-170 is highly regarded amongst scanner enthusiasts, so that price sounds pretty reasonable, I've also heard some good things about the VX 150?  When it comes to scanners, there are better people to answer this question than I.

Sean

R Federle

Thanks Sean,

I appreciate your input. It has sparked some interest in the HAM area. May be something I will pursue.

In the meantime I will await further replies and input.

Have a great day Sean.

Robert

E.M. Bell

I will also say that your first step should be to get your ham ticket. It will keep you legal about anywhere you go or what you listen to. Its also a great hobby, if you go this route, I would strongly suggest you look at all ham radio has to offer, as it can be rather enjoyable. I have been an active ham for 11 or 12 years now and love it...

Yasue and GE are my favorite brands of radios. If you want just a standard ham rig, yasue makes some decent mobile rigs as well as HT's I prefer using modified GE  commercial gear myself, rugged and dependable with awesome reception. I have several GE handhelds as well as Mobile rigs. They seem to do better at making radios than locomotives. :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

R Federle

Good evening Mr Bell and thank you for the reply,

I have been trying some of the practice tests from the link Sean provided this afternoon. I did not do too well but I will continue. Some answers were obvious but some were kind of tough. I intend to get the license and a radio purchase may be some time time down the road.

I am trying to get an idea of what is popular and what would be best suited for listening to rail chatter etc.

I have begun researching (today) some of yaesu's equipment and have earmarked the FT-7800R and FT-1000 as candidates. I will wait for more input (if it comes) and go on information I get. As far as a scanner I had thought about the Yaesu VX-170.

I am gathering information though and still practice testing. I'll get there.

Thanks again Mr Bell and have a great evening.

Robert Federle

J-man

Yaesu makes great stuff,  I have a FT-2800M which works good in the car and in the house, but when out and about on foot,  a Uniden Bearcat does pretty well for a handheld.  I'd say that Yaesu VX-170 should do the trick  :)
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

R Federle

Thanks J.,

I have an old Bearcat scanner my Dad gave me and its good for the house but not well suited for mobile use. Its about 20 years old and I need something portable. Bearcat has a good name but from things I hear that Yaesu VX 170 is pretty popular.

I think I am leaning that direction. That FT 2800M you have, is that a handheld model?

Robert

E.M. Bell

If you decide to go the ham route, check out R&L electronics in Ohio. I have bought a lot of stuff from them, and they seem to always have the best prices and ship quickly. I got a new Kenwood TS690  6 meter / HF base station from them a few years ago for almost $400 less than i could find it anywhere else.

the web address for them is http://www.randl.com
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

R Federle

Thanks E.M.,

I have already been corresponding with them. I contacted them several months back with an inquiry and was given the info I needed. I have been e-mailing them now for the last couple days with questions and found they have a Yeasu VX 170 for $120. From the little investigating I have done they do have great prices (at least on items I was inquiring about).

The other good thing is they are in Hamilton, Ohio and that is where we have family. The Wife and I are going after July 4th to visit elderly parents and I may have to stop in and see them.

I took a couple more of those practice tests and I can see where I am improving some. I'll get there eventually.

When you visit R&L have you ever swung by the old CH&D (CSX) Depot? Its at MLK Blvd and Henry St. Back in the B&O / Chessie System days I spent quite a bit of time there with friends. That building is deteriorating and I hate to see that happen.

Thank you Mr. Bell for the link but I beat you to it. Have a great evening sir.

Robert Federle

JCagle

Radio Shack used to offer a study guide book for 5 or 10 bucks that several of my friends have stated that it was very helpful when they went to get their license. I used to spend a lot of time with them monitoring all kinds of stuff and even listening to the space station on several occations. I've been toying around with the idea of getting my license one day. I may have to get serious about looking into it.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

R Federle

Thanks J.B.,

I'll check that out. Might come in handy. I've been trying sample tests and just when I thought I was getting better along came a test that knocked me down a notch. I might check out Radio Shack's web site and see if they might have it there.

Thanks for the tip. Might be my imagination and might be just that I am paying more attention but it seems HAM is getting more popular. Quite a few people I have talked to locally have known someone that recently got a license.

The rail forums I belong to also speak highly of it.

Thanks again and have a great night J.B.

Robert Federle

JCagle

Yeah I'd check the website since the retailers don't have a lot of that kind of stuff. At least with a book you can take it with you wherever you go. Just the future transition is reason enough to look into ham. With all the people that are on ham now from forums and things there isn't a lack of people to talk to that's for sure.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

R Federle

I think that is the way I am heading. I dont know how soon but I've done some price checking and  a couple Yeasu models I have priced seem fairly reasonable. Would be enough to get a start. Someone said in an earlier post that cost depends on how involved I want to get.

If I can get a foot in the door I can always add. As far as camera stuff, I like the digital (I have an Olympus 350D, 6 or 7 years old) and I feel there are times this format is best. I still think for capturing action, the 35mm is still my choice. Might be just because that is what I am comfortable with.

Your right about getting different opinions from whomever I ask, but I get the chance to see what others think.

Thanks again J.B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk