Train Wreck in Estill County, KY was no accident

Started by nscnotp1, January 15, 2007, 08:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geno404

My friend Elmer Beckler who lives in my old 'hometown' had the day off today for the holiday and heard the entire thing 'go down' from start to finish on the radio.   I posted a couple of photos that he shot literally minutes after the impact over on the Kentucky Group photos section.    This is literally shot from the same spot as the Herald-Leader photos but the fire is so intense that you can't see the locomotives in there! 

From some that heard the conversations on the radio, there was some talk about someone wanting to send the locomotives 'out looking' for the cars.  My guess is that if they had done so, they WOULD have found them all right...right on the front coupler...either at the end of one of those blind curves or in the middle of one of those tall trestles along that line! 

I'm especially amused by the WKYT website headline that reads "CSX Train Wreck Was No Accident".   Huh?  ???

The contents of the four cars (paint solvents and plastic pellets) and the time of day suggest that it could have been C703 that let them get away...as Sherwin Williams and Mikron are customers for those products on the local that usually leaves Patio in the AM hours.   

nscnotp1

Found out that it was the NS-bound coal train's units that stopped the cars dead in its tracks.

Anyone find out if CSX went ahead and use the units, replaced them or is the train still delayed?

E.M. Bell

it would have been 70Ks power. the coal cars had KUCX reporting marks, so that was a given.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

E.M. Bell

70K is a CSX to NS coal train Paul, handed over to the NS at Lexington to go to the KU brown power plant near Burgin. The power is always CSX, and was in the case. The rear unit was a AC4400, lead unit looked EMD'ish, but was burnt beyond a hope of telling what it was..both CSX units..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JCagle

Quote from: geno404 on January 15, 2007, 09:02:33 PM

I'm especially amused by the WKYT website headline that reads "CSX Train Wreck Was No Accident".   Huh?  ???

Well a CSX train wreck kind of wouldn't be an accident since they are the Container Spill Experts!
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

E.M. Bell

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JCagle

And that's just 2 of the millions of acronims for CSX!
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

E.M. Bell

from what the news has said, there where no injuries to the crews on either CSX train (Ravenna and the wreck today South of Louisville)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

TRNBUF

Thanks for the update, I am also glad no one got hurt in this.

How freaky would that be if you were out train hunting and saw these crewless cars pass by.  YIKES!!!!! :o

Is there a link or a way to post them photos on here that your friend took?   ::)

~Mike

nscnotp1

One source I rely on is RRPicture Archives, the weblink is:

RRPicture Archives
http://rrpicturearchives.net

JREB Photo Gallery
http://jreb.org/gallery/main.php

You have to register to start a gallery in both.

TRNBUF

Thanks, I am registered and have photos on both of  them but I didn't see any photos of the accident.  The third person on this thread mentioned that his friend took some shots of the accident and posted them on a Kentucky Group.  That's the link I was wondering about.

~Mike

nscnotp1

A broken rail could be the cause of the derailment in the CSX Derailment in Bullitt County today. :o

J 484 fan

I may be mistaken but isn't that three accidents or wrecks in less than three months? They must be trying to beat Union Pacific for the accident record. I believe that is the second one since the bad one in or near Toledo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk