Stuff you see away from home

Started by dschlegel, March 01, 2013, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

So I am visiting my inlaws in TX this week and I haven't had much time to check in on happenings back east.

Today I dined for lunch at one of my favorite places, Central Texas BBQ in my wife's hometown of Pearland, TX. Now the food here is out of this world, and next to the restaurant is a joint BNSF/UP line from Houston down towards Galveston. I'll post a video of a freight later after I get it on YouTube.

Anyway today while standing in line I noticed this decoration which I thought was pretty cool.

Enjoy!
Dan

dschlegel

As promised, here's a video taken from Pearland TX at the Broad St crossing. This is a joint UP/BNSF line running from Houston to Galveston. Sorry about the wind and poor camera angle, this was a grab with my phone.

http://youtu.be/Zt8SLwU6VrQ

dschlegel

Also sort of interesting are these shots of the Port Terminal Railroad, taken by my brother in law who works there. Not sure what model loco this is, but the red and gold paint scheme is relatively new.

E.M. Bell

That is one of those ugly Genset things like the RJC has in mass around here...not sure what RR that is though.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

dschlegel

This is Houston's Port Terminal Railroad which is owned by both UP and BNSF. They're purpose in life is pretty much to serve local customers and make trains up for the two class 1's in the Houston area.

The old paint jobs for their motors was a blue scheme, I think I like the red and gold better.

Dan

NSMoWandS

It is not a Genset. It is a MP1500D. Other Dan.

E.M. Bell

Ill take your word for it OD...These new fangled engines are like cars now days, they all look the same to me :) 

Quote from: NSMoWandS on March 03, 2013, 01:27:05 PM
It is not a Genset. It is a MP1500D. Other Dan.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSMoWandS

I have family that lives on Galveston Island. Very familiar with this area also. The MP1500/MP2000 were also marketed by EMD as GP15D/GP20D(Amtrak has soem of these here on the NEC.) Both MP1500's and their Gensets have similar carbodys... but, only one exhaust in the MP's with two or three in the Gensets. Other Dan

dschlegel

Galveston is a neat area. I wanted to hit the remodeled railroad museum but we ran out of time while there. We did eat at Gaido's for lunch though, best seafood around the area in my opinion.

NSMoWandS

Don't forget the Pecan Pie! Also, Galveston Island is trying to get the street cars running again. Did you go on the hurricane tree carving tour? Trees that got knocked down during Ike were carved into animals and other things. There is a map that shows you how to drive or walk around to see them. Other Dan

dschlegel

We did see some of the trees that were carved, but didn't take any special tours.  Time just ran out as we had our daughter and my one year old niece with us.

We wanted to eat po-boys at shrimp and stuff, but got our arms twisted into dining at Gaido's.

We did enjoy pecan pie for desert too!

Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk