Neither sleet nor snow could stop me...

Started by Matt L, December 04, 2012, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

It was a stormy fall day, just a couple days after Thanksgiving. The wind had shifted into a cold blast blowing across Lake Ontario, with bands of lake effect snow and sleet falling across upstate NY. Could that stop me from chasing? Nope! the Finger Lakes Railway was operating excursions on the ex-NYC Auburn Road so I went out to capture the action.

I arrived in Shortsville just in time to see the 2nd trip of the day leaving town:

FGLK #1703 leads the eastbound leg of the excursion next to County Route 13 in the Town of Manchester:

The 2nd trip of the day returns to Shortsville while I'm getting pelted with sleet and snow!

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 11/25/2012 in upstate NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The sky started to leak nasty white stuff again as the 3rd FGLK trip of the day prepared to leave Shortsville:

The stormy skies did provide some dramatic lighting for the train as it rolled eastward through the Town of Manchester:

The Finger Lakes Railway excursion passes a former NYC depot in downtown Clifton Springs:

FGLK operated the trips pull-pull. Number 1703 (seen in previous shots0 led the eastbound leg of each trip, while B23-7 #2301 led the return. The venerable GE is an ex-Conrail unit and the ROW is ex-NYC/PC/CR. This location is the Main Street crossing downtown Shortsville:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 11/25/2012 in upstate NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I also got some shots of the 4th trip of the day. Number 1703 passes over South East Road in Shortsville as the train left town.

There are reminders of the line's historic NYC past, including this  milepost in the Town of Manchester:

FGLK #2301 leads the return leg of the 4th trip next to County Route 13 in the Town of Manchester:

The excursion returns to the wooden ex-NYC depot in Shortsville, which is actually maintained by the Lehigh Valley RR Historical Society.

Due to personal business I had to get back to  Rochester... but that didn't stopping from snapping a shot of the 5th and final Finger Lakes Railway excursion of the day shortly before it left Shortsville:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 11/25/2012 in upstate NY. I will take this opportunity to thank both the Lehigh Valley RR Historical Society and the Finger Lakes Railway for a job done quite well.     

butch

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

E.M. Bell

Thats a sharp looking little train, with the matching paint on the power AND the cars...you dont see that very often!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

Butch- thanx!

Emmett- the president of the Finger Lakes Railway (Mike Smith) is a strong New York Central fan. He even worked for Penn Central back in the day. Hence the attention to detail in reproducing the NYC colors. Most of the FGLK loco fleet, active passenger cars and cabeese wear NYC colors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk