Remotorizing my 1985 K10 Chevy Pickup (railfan vehicle)

Started by nsgelocos, September 19, 2011, 09:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsgelocos

I guess this would fit alright into this lounge...

One of the main reasons I haven't been out railfanning recently is because I am giving my truck a new heart. The 158,000 plus miles 305 CID motor just isn't giving me enough power for a V8. Me and dad talked it over for a year and this past June we ordered it; a GM performance ZZ4 turn key crate 350 CID motor. After we assembled the parts to the motor we began to dig in to the truck in early July. Now it is September and we are far behind schedule in having the motor in and running. The old motor is out and the new motor is standing by while we add a new clutch assembly, inner fender, radiator, headers. tachometer, and such. I guess it's best to take your time and do it right the first time.  ;D

I know there are some Chevy motor people on here. I wanted to post some pictures and stuff and see what you guys think. I need some pointers too. Probably not the best forum for automotive help, but, what the heck, I know some of you might get a kick out of it.  8)

Here's some pictures

Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

Only 158k miles on that motor?? I got 310k + out of mine before she finally died on me last year, and that was a HARD 310k... I cant complain about a Chevy (Even though I bought a ford this time around)...
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nsgelocos

The motor is still good. Needs new gaskets is all really. Dad really wanted to hot rod the truck. 355 horse with 305 ft/lbs of torque is plenty for a 4 speed. The 305 probably could have nearly the same power with the right head/intake/carb combo. lol

If you really wanted to go all out, you could do a full rebuild and have a nice daily driver V8.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

fireball451

I'm interested in hearing about that 91-92 Z28 sitting beside the truck. I have two.

nsgelocos

The ZZ4 is a 350 engine that GM makes as a crate. It has head made exclusively for the motor with D port heads. This model I have is the ZZ4 350 turnkey. This comes with the Carb, drive belt package, starter, and even the oil filter. http://gmhorsepower.com/350-ZZ4-Turn-Key.php Here's a link to a GM page on the motor I got. This isn't bad for a 350 motor with that setup. There's a website that gives you different options that can give up to 425 plus horse from the ZZ4. Some of these options of course is different intake/carb combos and the LT-4 hot cam. My 85' actually had a 4 barrel Rochester on it.

The Camaro is, indeed, a 1992 Z28 25th Anniversary edition with a Tuned-Port-Injection 305 motor in it. The 305 has a lot of power for that car. It used to belong to my grandma until dad bought it. It's currently my daily driver to school and back until the truck is finished. The heater core was replaced in it a while back and the people who did it left something loose in there. Every time u hit a bump you hear what sounds like a chain bouncing on the road. It's a mostly original car with the exception of the oil, a plastic piece on the top, gas, and heater core.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

fireball451

I absolutely love those cars. Parts are getting tuff to find though. One of mine is an original 5 speed G92 package car, but its just a driver with 186k on the clock. It needs paint bad. My other one has been restored and converted to a 5 speed.

You engine is looking good!
I love to build my own motors, but with the price of machine work and parts, crate engines are the way to go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk