ATCS on your phone

Started by E.M. Bell, February 05, 2011, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

I had made plans to meet up with Caleb this morning and go out shooting, as the forecast said we would be getting 2 or 3 inches of snow, but after getting up early and figuring out all we had was clouds and rain, we called it off. This gave me a chance to catch up on a few "chores" I had been planning on..

I spent part of the afternoon installing some new software on my Iphone and the desktop computer that I keep on at the house for ATCS. I installed "TeamViewer" remote server on the computer, and also the app for that on the phone. With the computer at home set to run ATCS 24/7, I can use my phone to connect to it, and thus monitor ATCS from where ever we happen to be at. The program also allows me to pretty much control the computer and all functions while mobile...pretty neat stuff.

I can see this being VERY handy on a few trips this year...modern railfanning at its finest!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

mbgphoto79

Very cool.  I was waiting for this to become an app! 

E.M. Bell

its not really a app per say, but the remote server thing works very well, if you take a few mins to get it set up on both your computer at home, and your phone. There are other remote server apps out there that MAY work better than what I found was FREE..and being a cheapskate, that is the route I went. 

The fact you can also completely  control your computer from the phone to do other things besides ATCS may come in handy as well.. I have our entire network behind a good firewall here at home, so I am not so concerned about someone being able to "break in", although getting it all set up to work with the firewall was a bit of a pain.

here is a crap pic of my phone with the CNO&TP ACTS up and running (and a big thanks to our member AD4YJ for running that server)...

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

kdewald

I downloaded the app on my iPhone and downloaded the software on my computer. Works great, unless you leave the house and forget to start the software. It sure makes the decision of is there anything else coming and should I stay a lot easier. 

E.M. Bell

if you set it up for full sharing, your should be able to open the program and load which profile you want ect from your phone. You can control the computer (not just atcs) like that.  From what I have learned about this so far, you can do about anything you want, as long as the remote computer is actually on!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk