Advice on Proto 2000 SD60s (HO)

Started by Michael Knight, May 29, 2010, 08:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

I have two Proto 2000 SD60s that I purchased new. Undecorated versions were the only option I had when buying them, so I planned to paint and detail the units later. Flash forward several years, and the units have never been run or completed. While I've attempted to paint each of the shells, I haven't gotten past a base coat and one of the shells has to be stripped and repainted. Oh, and there are numerous detail parts floating around too, obviously not applied.

I thought I would post this situation up for discussion. I really don't think I have the time or patience to complete these models. So, what would other modelers suggest?

I suppose there are custom detailers/finishers who could perform the work needed to complete the units, but I suspect that route might be cost prohibitive.

At this point, I'd be interested in ridding myself of the units--especially if I could trade the pair for, say, a single Athearn SD60 decorated in the original NS scheme.

I'm open for suggestions. I know the Proto chassis has superior pulling power over an Athearn SD60, but perhaps I could find an unused SD60 shell in NS paint and drop it on one of my chassis.

NSMoWandS

You might want to try to contact BADHORSE79. He is always looking for new things.

Badhorse79

I just completed a proto 60 in the horsehead scheme though whatever you wanna do I'll be glad help 

Badhorse79

I also have a Railpower Shell and could dude it up and send it to ya it's just collecting dust! was gonna do a 40E with it but I can detail and paint it to your liking no prob! just let me know ..??!! 

High Speed Kurt

Those engines are BEASTS and can pull anything.  Keep em and have someone finish em. I own 3 NS, one CR and 2 UP's.

Michael Knight

Hey guys, thanks for your input!

Yes, beasts is an appropriate term for these locos! They have to be the heaviest HO engines I've ever seen.

The trouble with these undecorated bodies goes beyond paint; that is, all of the detail parts, window glazing, grab irons, and so forth have to be applied as well. Since these were not roadname-specific models, Like-Like included a plethora of detail parts, many of which are non-applicable in the case of an NS locomotive.

Some of these tiny detail parts have fallen out of the bag and been lost, although if one were to go to all the trouble of custom detailing the unit, one would probably mainly use brass detail parts instead of Life-Like's plastic accessories.

Here is the current condition of the shells:

One shell has a flat black coat of Floquil applied, and it's had end stripes and the horsehead logo applied to the long hood. The short hood end has a white brow but no end stripes of roadnumbers on the cab.

The other shell was orignally slated to be painted in CSX's yellow, gray, and blue scheme. However, I've since stripped all the Modelflex paint from the shell.

I also had two additional units, which were never removed from the box, that I sold several years ago along with six new Bachmann CSX CW40-8s and C40-8s. Mind you, the Bachmanns were bought before Atlas released its first GE Dash 8-40B model. Comparing the two, well, is not possible due to the inferiority of the Bachmann junk. I swore never to buy Bachmann again, and I've been a loyal Atlas fan ever since.

Anyway, I'm probably just looking to trade these units (or sell them at a discount). I'd trade both of them for an Athearn SD60, SD70, or SD70M in Norfolk Southern paint--no horseheads though, just the original NS scheme. Know anyone who'd be interested in a swap? These Proto units would be nothing short of excellent for someone who likes to detail his own locos!

Also, if someone has something similar to trade, such as a CSX-painted engine or something else, run it by.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk