700 series road slugs

Started by NSMoWandS, January 14, 2010, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSMoWandS

This is a blanket question.  Does anyone know the best way to remove the fans and radiator grills from an Athearn GP38-2.  I am making a road slug ( prob 702 ) and was wondering whether to remove these or cut the back section off and make a new one.  Thank you for any help you can give.

Badhorse79

I would just use an x-acto blade to remove the radiator grills then sand flat for the fans I would drill them out carve out the area the replace it with some styrene cannon makes a flat section of roof stock part # 191-1751 and that will take care of the rear fans also a small square piece to cover the dynamic brake fan ....some putty and some sanding and you should be ready to detail 702 out and paint ....hopefully I was of some help ....talk to ya later! P.s  let me know what it looks like when your finished? I was planning on doing one myself as a matter of fact lol   

Badhorse79

Sorry looks like you don't have to worry about removing the dynamic break fan but might have to remove the bulky box (completly forgot what it's called) that is distinctive to GP38s front portion of the dynamic break blister I've done this before by using a piece from a non dynamic break from a junk box hopefully you can get these still check with your local hobby shop then used putty and filed smooth to remove lines I'm double checking pic as we speak that looks like that's all there is lol

NSMoWandS

Yes... I had to remove the battery box... but I used I section of non-dynamic brake housing to fill in the gap... The funny thing is... I believe 710,711 & 712 still have the battery box on them. Oh, well. Thank you for your help.

Badhorse79

Your welcome . I would like to attempt one  There's a show comin up this Saturday and I will be lookin for parts to get started but we'll see lol .....later still need to finish the exconrail 8-40cw anyway have a good one 

NSMoWandS

You only need to finish one thing... haha... if only!

Badhorse79

I do have a few engines to complete but the main thing that's no where near finished is my layout lol Its 14x22 but only 2 or 3 feet of track laid down and I started January of last year so I think I need to complete it first but a layout is never really finished huh

NSMoWandS

Never! never, never, never.  Did I tell you never yet? My layout is 8x17 feet with a staging yard under the steps in a 6x12 area. I have been working on it for almost 5 years and it is about 60% complete. Maybe in another 8 years I will be done! haha.  I also have about 3 CSX engines to modify and paint for a friend. He wanted SD40-2 8367( has brake wheel on rear deck ) And then a GP40-2 master unit with a road slug built from a GP38-2. Doesn't want much does he? haha

Badhorse79

Wow yeah that's a bunch of stuff lol I guess that's what this hobby is all about but I enjoy it keeps me outta trouble (sometimes)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk