Main Menu

Top Gons

Started by thpbears, January 24, 2009, 02:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpbears

You can go to blma models .com and they now have a video of the long awaited Top Gons  Enjoy.  Just click on the particular car you want to look at and the video will follow.

Michael Knight

Did anyone purchase these models? If so, how would you rate their build quality and appearance? Do they closely match the prototype? Anyone have any operational issues with them?

MP15NUT

I have 5 from the first run, trying to get another 7.  I would rate theses cars very high up, by what i can tell they are spot on, and the quality of the product is great.  The only problem i have had is that the side stirrups come off very easily.  For loads for the cars I recommend that you use Hobby Loads out of Va.  He is usually at the greensburg shows at the Dulles Expo center in Chantilly, Va. 
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

MP15NUT

I just used CA to glue them back on, or the ones i could find, But there is a thread on the Atlas HO forum about using Liquid Electrical tape, and i think ill use that the next time one breaks off. 
MP15NUT

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!

MP15NUT

And yes this is the only problem i see, i also had to add a little weight to get it up to NMRA standard, about 3/4oz more weight. 
MP15NUT

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!

NSMoWandS

MP15NUT,
  Are you on the Delmarva Secondary?  I free lance a branch line based on the Delmarva Sec.  From staging... into A yard/ TOFC/COFC yard (harrington) there is a small fuel pad and some warehouses and a chemical plant.  then down the branch to SandPan siding (seaford) where there is a gravel place, chemical plant, bakery, and an industry that uses covered hoppers full of plastic pellets. I also have a segment that travels to a power plant (indian river).

MP15NUT

I am doing a freelance model of the secondary.  I have a site delcrr.web.com.  Im part of a group called the AWL Lines,  awlrr.com, im Matt curll, the only thing that i changed on the whole line is that i own the Bay Coast railroad, there is a steel mill in Mt. Holly, Md.  and Mt. Holly is Salisbury, Md.  I also am doing a TOFC operation between Cape Charles, Va and Wilmington, De.  to compete with the Route 13 traffic.  Kind of like what the WC did between Green Bay and Milwaukee, Wi.  That is what i am doing to model the line, there is a Rail fan page out there for the line, but it hasn't been updated since 2006.   
MP15NUT

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!

NSMoWandS

If you are on Facebook... there is a fan site for the delmarva secondary... NS Delmarva Secondary is run by a guy in Felton, DE. Check it out!

NSMoWandS

Yeah, if you ordered all the BLMA Top Gons... you would have a train with 85 different numbers... too bad the max train length on my layout is 20-25 cars...

Michael Knight

Quote from: NSMoWandS on March 30, 2011, 02:33:41 PM
Yeah, if you ordered all the BLMA Top Gons... you would have a train with 85 different numbers... too bad the max train length on my layout is 20-25 cars...

Well, don't forget cuts needed for meeting loaded and empty trains on the main and staging at the mines or branches. :) The cars are so nice though that I could never bring myself to weathering them. I recall seeing the prototypes when they were new...and still relatively clean. I never got any of the models with the reflective striping as they were too recent for my era.

Badhorse79

$1700.00 + for a coal train!  let me get my check book 

Michael Knight

The high prices now a days make us all think a little more about our rolling stock and motive power "needs."  ;D

But the detail is certainly impressive in most cases, when compared to, say, the late-90s.

Badhorse79

The detail is superb ! Only if they would throw a shell in the box and all the parts is a baggy and drop $10.00 I can handle that ! I was looking to buy a few but like you said with the prices I thought about it and changed my mind , there should be options ....

Khartoum

I just placed an advanced order for some G-85s and G-86s. I'm not sure if this is the second or third run, but they won't be out until Nov-Dec. Time to get sellin some stuff to pay for them.

thpbears

Sometimes you can catch them on ebay for about 20 a car. I think the new ones are going to be about thirty when they come out.

Khartoum

I found them for 22.85, full price is 28.95.

thpbears

They have any left for me by any chance?

Khartoum

I ordered mine from Toy Train Heaven and last time I looked they had 24 different road numbers available for preorder.

NSMoWandS

Yeah Badhorse,
I feel like a real railroad anymore when it comes to purchases... hmm... do I need power or rolling stock? What's my budget... and do I need them right now... or can I wait until the economy picks up?  Ha! Ha!

Badhorse79

I was hoping maybe someone could give me the measurements of the bottem section box area of the TOPGON's  I have a few bethgons that are just beat up and was thinking maybe I could rebuild them give me something else to do hehe

Thanks

Michael Knight

Quote from: Badhorse79 on June 25, 2011, 08:02:57 PM
I was hoping maybe someone could give me the measurements of the bottem section box area of the TOPGON's  I have a few bethgons that are just beat up and was thinking maybe I could rebuild them give me something else to do hehe

Thanks

I'd measure mine for you if I still had them. Sold the few I had several months ago. I never ran mine, but they looked great and were solidly-built and well-weighted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk