another bench work question

Started by Badhorse79, March 25, 2012, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Well I MoW has been helping me get my mind made up and I needed some help with building over my staging so I wanna post a few pics to help get an idea of what I have and get a few tips, suggestions, and maybe some critiques this is a pic of where a bridge get put in but I couldn't quite think of how to place it I resumed a 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood to use as a base the continue my bench work after or should I just build my bench work and then just build the bridge in between the risers?  Oh this part I hate

Badhorse79

And a drawing of the bridge if needed I may be over thinking this its just that I get a little overwhelmed when I lose faith in my confidence then I just stop and never start again

NSMoWandS

First thing... a wonderful thing about benchwork... it gets covered up by scenery. So, it doesn't matter what it looks like. Where the yellow flatcar is... there looks to be a 2x4??? above it on the bottom of the top level. Is there one like that on the other side? If so, I would use a piece of plywood across the opening. Then, use risers to build up close to what you need. leave about 1/4 inch for the piece of wood to sit on top of the risers... this is where your track will be. Once you have that... put your abuntments up to test fit the bridge. Once your happy... you can use plaster cloth, newspaper crumbled up with window screen over it, whatever works best to contour the land up or down as you see fit. I cut away the plywood and added a box-out(down) when I realized I wanted a bridge(after the fact). If I knew ahead of time... I would have done it the way I described above.

NSMoWandS

In case what I wrote doesn't make sense... I am going to download your pic and use photoshop to draw in what I was talking about. Prob take a couple days though.

Badhorse79

Nope!  I completely understand I can get that done today since I have today and tomorrow to do it  hmm so im just gonna build my bench then add bridge when I figure my approach area ... Aww see I was being to hard on my self ... thanks Mow and that's a nice lil bridge ya have there ... scenery looks sweet too !

NSMoWandS

Cool, glad to help. Also, another cool thing about benchwork... it can be torn out!!! Post some pics as you progress please.

Badhorse79

Oh I will getting ready to start now hopefully tonight il have track down

Badhorse79

Well here's a little look at it after some leveling and some cutting with the jigsaw it'll look ok I guess

NSMoWandS

The only thing i would suggest is to make a lead up to the close side of te bridge like you have on the other side. That way the land can be built up to it... with that long straight piece right next to the bridge... it would be hard to make the land look right... but as my dad always says... it is your layout and you are God! Other than that...looks great! Now, I want to tear out my bridge and put in a bigger one... i guess I have big bridge envy!!!  ;D

Badhorse79

Thanks and I plan on jigging that off I have a pencil line and a embankment area drawn on there... now im getting ready to cut the risers to this 3/4 inch ply wood this part I hate leveling up cause it bows in the middle and my ends will need adjustments im sure

NSMoWandS

Don't forget... bench work gets covered up... I have used wood shimes, styrene shimes, cardboard shimes...etc... and yes it looks like crap... until the ballast, and grass and trees get put in... then you cannot tell what is under there.

Badhorse79

Here's the finished approach and cookies lol

NSMoWandS

Looks great!!!! Can wait to see the scene finished!!!

Badhorse79

Thanks ... its funny how I put this off n skipped out when I needed to do it ... but talking to MoW got my confidence running and I thank ya MoW just wish ya was around to help level it!  Lol but I cant wait to start laying the track witch will be tomorrow and build the rest to the center island witch is the heart of the DM&L .... engine shops car shop main office and my steam program that NS is helping fund .... will have to wait n see the out come on that

thpbears

Looking good. Can't wait to see one of your engines go across it in a photo.

Badhorse79

Thanks bears... I cant wait to scenic it but that will be a bit I just wanna get all bench work complete n then wire it and the scenery but I have some vacation time coming up and my dad will be in next week so hopefully that'll take some chunks out

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk