4271 and the Delaware

Started by Badhorse79, March 02, 2012, 09:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Took some shots of the very small OCS that was in town for a layover

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

Maybe the DM&L are looking to sell the line just east of here? Think that maybe why the small train

Badhorse79

The Ditch lights are a too far out for my liking but its ok ill survive lol

NSMoWandS

Ditch lights look fine... people will be noticing the mufflers and Q fan up top before they notice the ditch lights... and think... wow that's alot of detail! It's the old art of drawing someones eyes somewhere else. That is why I try to build "little scenes" into the bigger scene... to draw attention awa from... a bad spot in the background building, or backdrop or even the fact that one curve has some extra spikes in it! But, in the end... you are the one would has to live with it... but, to make this story longer (haha) I would be satified with the show horses just the way you have them. I have found that there is a balance... too much detail (like the real thing) and it looks cluttered... too less... and it looks like a model... somewhere in between is where I am happy. If I really wanted prototype... then EVERY car would have graffiti on it... and that looks horrible in HO scale! So, every 5-6 cars get a tag... and it looks more real. Weird right? But that is how I see it. Just my two..well buck twenty's worth.   

NSMoWandS

PS- good car! My home state!

Badhorse79

Very interesting points!  As you may see on some of my locos im not to big on every detail either ! I get the basic stand outs " Ditch lights, horns, A/C , plow, ect . Thanks that makes me feel better that im not the only one who does just enough!

NSMoWandS

I have also found that if you detail the engines and the first couple cars, and the last couple of cars no one seems to notice plain cars in the middle...

thpbears

A little off topic but why again I say why do my trains never derail for weeks and the first time somebody comes over they can't stay on the track for anything ? :'(

Badhorse79

That's how it goes bears! I just ran a few test runs of some new cars ! then asked my better half to "check it out "and thud two inches in to the run

chipallen16

Quote from: thpbears on March 03, 2012, 08:46:24 PM
A little off topic but why again I say why do my trains never derail for weeks and the first time somebody comes over they can't stay on the track for anything ? :'(
Sorry to say, but it's probably the trackwork. The track is the foundation for everything!

-Chip  :)

Badhorse79

!!! Or the trucks need gauged

NSMoWandS

I don't know... sometimes the models... just like the real things... go off track for no reason. I have cars that go round and round 1000 times... then... on the ground... Have cars go through switches 10,000 times... and one day... pick the switch.  I actually do not mind (except at an open house) when it happens. I shut down the area... bring in the MoW crews... look at the track, look at the car(s)... sometimes I find a wheel out of gauge... but more often then not... there is no reason... maybe I should look into train handling... haha!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk